Dead chicken

jmemom

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 13, 2010
I went out to feed tonight and found one of my BOs dead in the corner. Not a mark on her (except for some feathers plucked out which I think the other chickens did since she could have been there for hours). She didn't have a broken neck or anything. She appeared to be just lying there based on the position of her legs. We did a little autopsy and she didn't appear to be egg bound or anything. She was only about 10 months old. I have two rough roosters in the coop. I don't know if they would have anything to do with it. I haven't noticed any different symptoms except for the occassional sneeze by different girls. Any thoughts? My concern is that it could be Marek's or something and I have no other place to house my flock. I was also getting ready to order some new chicks and I don't want to do that if I've got some disease here!! Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Classic Marek's disease causes paralysis of one or more limbs. It attacks nerve primarily Signs of difficulty breathing or dilation of the crop may occur. Besides lesions in the peripheral nerves, there are frequently tumors on or in the skin, skeletal muscle, & organs. Organs that are commonly affected include the ovary, spleen, liver, kidneys, lungs, heart, and adrenal glands. Cancer of the chicken; NOT contagious to humans. Cause tumors in nerves (paralysis), in liver, ovaries, testicles, muscles and skin - sudden death. Mortality can go to 20%. No treatment; prevention by day old vaccination at hatchery.

Doesn't sound like Mareks at all based on your description

It could just be me, but it sure seems like a lot of sudden death cases are BO's. We just had a 10 month old healthy BO drop face down suddenly a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom