Dead Duck - Egg Bound as a Cause?

zchryjmsbnntt

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
So I lost one of my three girls today :( Hoping someone might be able to give me some thoughts and opinions on a possible cause. I'm thinking egg bound?

-as of 5pm yesterday evening, all three were alive and well. Didn't notice anything unusual.
-feed and water didn't look tampered with and nothing about then pen suggested something got in and attacked
-no markings on the body, no blood, and neck wasn't broken
-I collected two eggs yesterday morning and two again this evening.

-both Wednesday and Thursday I had two HUGE eggs. A lot bigger than normal (see pics).
-all three girls drink the same water and eat the same feed and two of them are still alive.

I'm thinking egg bound as the cause. Any other possible suggestions?

So I lost one of my three girls today
sad.png
Hoping someone might be able to give me some thoughts and opinions on a possible cause. I'm thinking egg bound?

-as of 5pm yesterday evening, all three were alive and well. Didn't notice anything unusual.
-feed and water didn't look tampered with and nothing about then pen suggested something got in and attacked
-no markings on the body, no blood, and neck wasn't broken
-I collected two eggs yesterday morning and two again this evening.

-both Wednesday and Thursday I had two HUGE eggs. A lot bigger than normal (see pics).
-all three girls drink the same water and eat the same feed and two of them are still alive.

I'm thinking egg bound as the cause. Any other possible suggestions?
So hard to know for sure without a necropsy, but it could have been. Did you notice her acting out of sorts hanging in the house or nest box not eating not hanging around with your other 2? So many signs we can miss because they are so good at covering them up till it's too late alot of the time.

I hope huge eggs doesn't mean that because I have a Buff who lays whoppers at least 1-2x a week and it is worrisome.

She could have been egg bound had infection, or been an internal layer. Just so many possibilities.

Very sorry for your loss.

I have only loss one to egg laying problems she was off by herself and just didn't look right so I brought her inside let her soak in warm water off an on all day next day she laid an egg and was dead that same night. @zchryjmsbnntt

Last edited:
Yeah I could barely touch the dead body let alone cut her open and see lol. As of 5pm Friday evening nothing seemed out of sorts. She was by the door quacking as usual. I didn't see her Saturday morning as we were up and out pretty early. When I went out to collect the eggs (around 4pm) is when I found her.

The eggs were always the same size except for those two huge ones those two days in a row. So that's why I'm thinking maybe it was eggbound based on some things I was reading. Like I said I don't think it's a good or water issue or anything bacterial cause the other two girls are still alive and well.

Thank you for your warm wishes and same to you as well! This is my first backyard flock so it's a learning experience all around.

Back
Top Bottom