Dead duck?

Waylonsmommy11

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
Idk what happened. I went to check on our 7-8 week old ducks and chickens. And our little one was dead. I’m heartbroken. She was such a sweetheart. What could’ve caused her to die? She was a crested Rouen. Not as active or loud as our Pekin. Very small. Mello. And always hung out w her head under her wing when she was just sitting there which our Pekin doesn’t do much. They were best buddies. If you separated them for 1 second the Pekin started screaming. Will she be fine with our chickens as companions? Or do we need another duck? Her and the chickens get along pretty well. She’s just very territorial or her water.

Attachments

• BC0C91DF-78F3-4BFC-B3A0-9DB0F3F1FFA2.jpeg
    BC0C91DF-78F3-4BFC-B3A0-9DB0F3F1FFA2.jpeg
    634.1 KB · Views: 14
Very hard to give you an exact cause of death unless you send her body to your local poultry state necropsy lab. Since she was crested there is the chance she may have hit her head on something and suffered from severe neurological damage. Chickens are not suitable companions for ducks, I suggest you get her another friend as soon as possible.

Sorry for your loss.

Very hard to give you an exact cause of death unless you send her body to your local poultry state necropsy lab. Since she was crested there is the chance she may have hit her head on something and suffered from severe neurological damage. Chickens are not suitable companions for ducks, I suggest you get her another friend as soon as possible.

Sorry for your loss.
Would we be able to spend extra time with her to make sure she’s not lonely until we can get another duck? The places we got them only allow for 4 chicken 2 duck minimum to get them. We don’t have room for 1 more duck than we had and our heat lamp broke. And in the middle of this craziness it’s kinda tight on money.

Yes, You could, but it's not preferred as I doubt you will be able to be by her side 24/7, you can set a mirror in her pen, and set a stuffed toy to help with loneliness. for now.

Yes, You could, but it's not preferred as I doubt you will be able to be by her side 24/7, you can set a mirror in her pen, and set a stuffed toy to help with loneliness. for now.
Yes I can. We happen to have a baby mirror for the car. We won’t be going anywhere so I’ll steal it 😂won’t the stuffed animal get gross? She’s very very messy and has super liquid poops sometimes

Yes I can. We happen to have a baby mirror for the car. We won’t be going anywhere so I’ll steal it 😂won’t the stuffed animal get gross? She’s very very messy and has super liquid poops sometimes
yes it will get gross but you can always wash it. Maybe dig around and find a few so she has something when the poopy one is being washed?

yes it will get gross but you can always wash it. Maybe dig around and find a few so she has something when the poopy one is being washed?
Thank you. I’ll try and dig in the attic. I’m looking at someone else’s post on here for a male Pekin. And I think I’ve fallen in love w him 😂I think he’d make a great companion for my girl 🤞🏼 Hopefully I can get him

Thank you. I’ll try and dig in the attic. I’m looking at someone else’s post on here for a male Pekin. And I think I’ve fallen in love w him 😂I think he’d make a great companion for my girl 🤞🏼 Hopefully I can get him
That is so funny because I just gave one of my young runner drakes to a woman who's pekin drake had died in surgery to be a companion for her sad pekin girl. It was love at first sight for them which shocked me because he wasn't my friendliest duck for sure but it's a match made in heaven. Someone on here said that runners and pekins do very well together so you might want to consider it. I get pictures everyday and they seemed joined at the hip from about 2 minutes after they met. Aren't they the cutest!
IMG_5809.jpeg

That is so funny because I just gave one of my young runner drakes to a woman who's pekin drake had died in surgery to be a companion for her sad pekin girl. It was love at first sight for them which shocked me because he wasn't my friendliest duck for sure but it's a match made in heaven. Someone on here said that runners and pekins do very well together so you might want to consider it. I get pictures everyday and they seemed joined at the hip from about 2 minutes after they met. Aren't they the cutest!
View attachment 2098317
How sweet! I love it. I’m gonna be so excited if I actually get this one lady’s duck. He looks like an absolute doll!

Back
Top Bottom