Dead ducks

DuckDaddy01

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2016
Today I found one of my ducks dead inside the run. There was no evidence of any physical harm. See picture.

The duck was a female Metzger layer 300 hybrid. She was only about six months old. This is the second time that I had a Metzger 300 mysteriously die.

My other ducks seem totally fine and she seemed totally fine yesterday. I have eight remaining ducks.

Does anyone have any clue why they would die? They have food, water and shelter… The winter has not been particularly cold. Ranging between 25 and 45°F.

I have done some reading and have heard about E. coli possibly killing a duck. Generally, they drink from clean drinking water. However, they also climb all over everything and poop wherever they want to. So, it's almost impossible to keep the water in pristine condition.

Further, when I let them out during the daytime they like to splash and play in this puddle in the attached picture. They also drink the water. Could the water be contaminated by their feces?

The other ducks seem totally fine.

Are some ducks more fragile (because I have only had this issue with this breed)?

If there's a possibility of the duck being sick, do I need to throw away the eggs?

Thanks for any advice…

Yes. I have one more like her. She seems fine. My dad told me just now that the one that was dead had blood around her mouth/beak..... however she was in the pen so if there was trauma I'm not sure where it would have come from.

Have you contacted the seller to tell him and ask if he has any idea what is causing this? You may also want to post on the "Duck thread." where they may be able to offer suggestions or advice. Just put that in the search box and the thread will pop up.

I'm sorry for your loss,

Back
Top Bottom