Dead eggs

Misfits&Mutts

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 4, 2018
So I did my first hatch. Managed to get 3 live chicks and a bunch of dead eggs. I am grateful for the 3. When I opened the dead ones most of them were half formed blobs but 2 looked ready to hatch. I know there were a couple things I can do better but what would have caused the deaths so close to hatch. I am still learning.

If you were using incubator, improper temp and humidity could have been a large factor. If under a broody hen, hen not very good at it and may have abandoned nest too many times to let eggs cool too much.
I have just been reading, person lost 3 dozen chicks last day due to an incubator mishap. :(
Consider what you went thru as a learning experience. It will turn into better results as you do it more.
WISHING YOU BEST...... and :welcome

It would be helpful if you'd provide some details as to your incubation methods. What type of incubator, fan or no fan, temperatures, humidity levels and what equipment you used to test and maintain those temps and percentages-all these factors contribute to the success of your hatch. It's also helpful if you tell us a bit about the eggs themselves and anything that might have been a glitch, such as a power failure.....There are lots of very helpful and knowledgeable members here who can then give you tips for your next try. Meantime, I hope you're having a blast with the babies that did hatch.

It would be helpful if you'd provide some details as to your incubation methods. What type of incubator, fan or no fan, temperatures, humidity levels and what equipment you used to test and maintain those temps and percentages-all these factors contribute to the success of your hatch. It's also helpful if you tell us a bit about the eggs themselves and anything that might have been a glitch, such as a power failure.....There are lots of very helpful and knowledgeable members here who can then give you tips for your next try. Meantime, I hope you're having a blast with the babies that did hatch.

I was using a still air incubator with Easter eggers. I wasn't able to turn them as often as I should have, only twice a day. I am buying a turner today actually. I also bought 2 more thermometers and another hygrometer. There were no glitches that I am aware off other than maybe not keeping temperature and humidity steady enough. Definite learning experience. Thank-you. And I am thoroughly enjoying the new babies. Although I think one of my dogs thinks they are new squeaky toys that she can't have.

Temperature and humidity are usually the issue behind problems. I hatch continuously all year long and when something goes badly for me it is usually an issue with too much humidity. I have excellent equipment for maintaining the correct temps, but humidity also works with other factors like eggshell density and is much harder to keep right. If I get too busy with other stuff and don't carefully watch air cell enlargement and adjust accordingly, hatchrates go down, for sure.
I think the saddest result is chicks dead in the shell at the very end-chicks that were absolutely ready to go but did not hatch due to malpositioning, in particular. I have been searching for a long time to find out why this happens. Finally, just recently, read and article that explained that hatching eggs in locations above 600 meters in altitude produces more malpositions than sea level. It is due to the reduced oxygen saturation of the air; the baby chicks are that sensitive. Not sure how I can deal with that as my altitude is twice 600 meters-thinking of putting a couple of very small plants in the hatcher at lockdown.
It sounds like you are preparing yourself for a better hatch next time; multiple thermometers and hygrometers will help you. I salt test the latter and pick the two that most closely agree and find that they are usually close to what my humidity controller is reading. My incubators bristle with these things-reminds me of cars with lots of antennae sticking out.
Three chicks is a nice number for making friends with them; I am glad you're having fun. You'll be a "hatchaholic" before long.....

Back
Top Bottom