Dead hawk

sdm111

Enabler
11 Years
May 21, 2013
S. louisiana
Went to check on the birds this morning and found this. Elec. Fence 1, hawk 0

Hawks are pretty birds. I love them, but I have been kind of pitted against them by my chickens, so as a bird lover I am between a rock and a hard place. I put clear mesh over the run and have never had a bird get picked off by a hawk. They certainly give it a thought, but between the netting and the dog, they opt to go after one of the many rabbits in my neighborhood. So I get the best of both worlds...beautiful birds and healthy chickens!

Careful. Hawks, eagles, owls, birds of prey in general are federally protected. A wind farm just paid a big fine because their wind turbines killed a bunch of eagles. It’s even against the law to possess hawk, owl, or eagle feathers, even from road kill.

They are not likely to come looking for you since you did not go hunting for that hawk but it still might be a good idea to not rub it in their faces. You never know when you might run into the one that is a stickler for the letter of the law instead of using a little common sense and discretion. A shovel might be a good idea. Just to let you know there is some risk in having that hawk even if you did nothing wrong.

I don’t know what amperage you have set up in that electric wire but I doubt the electrical part killed the hawk. My chickens occasionally zap themselves when their wattles or comb comes in contact with the electric netting. That brings an instant reaction but it doesn’t hurt them. I suspect that hawk hit the wire, maybe swooping in for a kill. Power lines and things like that kill a lot of birds when they hit it at high speed.

Well however it died dead is dead and I am glad. I don't like to see animals harmed especially birds which I think are amazing but after putting so much time and effort into something just to have a predator take it, no doesn't cut it with me. And as far as the Feds. If they are gonna go after something like this then they have their priorities in the wrong order. I'm not gonna shoot one but hitting an elec. Fence well..........

It has been brought to my attention that all the hawks, falcons, owls and eagles rehabilitated by Auburn University have an identifying micro chip implanted in their muscles. This is not a radio tracking devise but it can be used to identify each and every hawk, or owl. Don't leave or bury any dead (regardless of how it died) raptors on your property. The micro chip can give away the location of a dead raptor if the reading device is close enough to ping it.

Back
Top Bottom