DeadTurkeys, Help

Janis R

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
I have had 7 turkeys die in the last two days, they are 2 month old BB white turkeys, so far as lll the 1 1/2 year old heritage turkeys are fine and the chickens in adjoining run are fine. I thought it was coccidiosis but now I am not sure, here is picture of the 5th turkey's
liver, blackhead maybe??????

Here are some more pictures from the turkeys that died this morning

Sorry for your loss... Looks a lot like blackhead to me. How many are still alive? If I was in your shoes I would start all turkeys on metronidazole (Fish-Zole), Baytril (enrofloxacin) and Safeguard (fenbendazole).

-Kathy

Just had another thought... No baytril for any that don't look sick, for them I would do just the metronidazole and Safeguard.

-Kathy

Kathy
Thank you for your help
I was only able to get the Safe-guard and have medicated the turkeys, no new dead ones in about 30-36 hours, so hopefully I have it under control

Kathy
Thank you for your help
I was only able to get the Safe-guard and have medicated the turkeys, no new dead ones in about 30-36 hours, so hopefully I have it under control.
If you have any that are sick you can get the metronidazole at petsmart or petco, it's sold as API General Cure. A turkey with blackhead is very unlikely to survive without treatment without metronidazole.

-Kathy

I am down to 5 of the 16 turkeys, two more died yesterday.
I am going to treat them with the safeguard and tomorrow if any are alive I will go into town and get other meds.
The older turkeys and the chickens in the other run are all fine
I plan on putting up another run where the chickens have never been in .

I am down to 5 of the 16 turkeys, two more died yesterday.
I am going to treat them with the safeguard and tomorrow if any are alive I will go into town and get other meds.
The older turkeys and the chickens in the other run are all fine
I plan on putting up another run where the chickens have never been in .

How many of the young ones look sick?

-Kathy

FYI, I go through this every year with mine. Almost everything hatched here will eventually get sick once their feet touch the dirt. Anything that looks off is treated with metronidazole, Baytril and Safeguard.

Just in case I wasn't clear, this disease cannot be treated with just Safeguard, you also must treat with metronidazole, and if you wait to long, you'll also need something like Baytril or Cipro.

100% mortality in poults is not uncommon when dealing with blackhead.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom