Dealing with Respitory illness in my Flock

jordanfmly

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 28, 2014
Hi.. I posted a couple weeks ago. My chickens are showing all the signs of MG. We have lost 2 of our 6 chickens. One just yesterday. My Rooster is still sick, but looks like he may be improving some. Not sure yet. I am putting antibiotics in their water. my question is . I really hate to kill these chickens right now. I know we cannot ever put more in with them right now. In the spring we will want to have more, Am I going to have to put these down ? It seems so cruel to me. I hate it. We will do it if we have too. Anyone dealing with this also?

Sorry about your situation. I would not put your chickens down until you have had confirmation that your animals are dealing with MG. Did you have a biopsy done on your dead chickens?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Unfortunately with MG, the birds are carriers for life. However there is a vaccine you can give the new birds to prevent them from getting MG. I have never had to deal with MG and have never used this. But you might talk to a vet about this as this is a possibility for you...http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus...oplasma-gallisepticum-from-ceva-sante-animale

You might also build a new enclosure for the new birds and keep the two groups completely separated. However you will have to practice serious bio security to keep the bacteria from spreading to the new flock. (separate shoes, use disposable gloves, change your clothes, etc...)

Good luck with your birds. I sure hope you can clear this up in your flock and work something out in the future without having to destroy your flock.
hugs.gif

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Make sure your coop is properly ventilated.

Also, hanging bouquets of mint, oregano, lavender, thyme and rosemary in the coop will all help your chickens' respiratory systems.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope you are able to figure out what is going on with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom