Death every day

luckydux

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
ARKANSAWWW!!
I had 15 barnevelders in a hoop coop and somewhat quarantined because I had a suspicious smell in the brooder shed that started while they were in there with a couple other groups. All of these groups were separated into their own brooder but still in the same shed. When they were old enough to go outside, I kept them separated by putting them into different hoop coops.
The barnevelders were hatched on April 12th so they are right at 12 wks old whereas the other 2 groups are 11 wks old.

Last Tuesday (5 days ago), I had 2 of the BVD's die...then Friday 2 more died...Saturday 2 more...today 3 more. The others will probably die very soon. A couple of them had absolutely white diarrhea the day before they died. There has always been a bit of diarrhea in their pen but nothing really blood red. Today I noticed there was more than normal but its more maroon than red. They were started on commercial feed until about 8 wks old and from then on I've given them a mix, about 50/50 organic feed/comm feed. Another thing thats different with the BVD's as well as the other 2 groups versus all the other birds I raised prior to them this spring is their feathering. Even at this age, some of them still have a bit of fluff around their tail area. My experience says that these birds are stunted.

I suspect cocci but I've never had to deal with it so I really don't know. I'm looking for personal experiences from someone who may have left cocci untreated and had results similar to mine. Also, does cocci add an obvious different smell to their poo..kind of sour smelling and very strong.

I had 15 barnevelders in a hoop coop and somewhat quarantined because I had a suspicious smell in the brooder shed that started while they were in there with a couple other groups. All of these groups were separated into their own brooder but still in the same shed. When they were old enough to go outside, I kept them separated by putting them into different hoop coops.
The barnevelders were hatched on April 12th so they are right at 12 wks old whereas the other 2 groups are 11 wks old.

Last Tuesday (5 days ago), I had 2 of the BVD's die...then Friday 2 more died...Saturday 2 more...today 3 more. The others will probably die very soon. A couple of them had absolutely white diarrhea the day before they died. There has always been a bit of diarrhea in their pen but nothing really blood red. Today I noticed there was more than normal but its more maroon than red. They were started on commercial feed until about 8 wks old and from then on I've given them a mix, about 50/50 organic feed/comm feed. Another thing thats different with the BVD's as well as the other 2 groups versus all the other birds I raised prior to them this spring is their feathering. Even at this age, some of them still have a bit of fluff around their tail area. My experience says that these birds are stunted.

I suspect cocci but I've never had to deal with it so I really don't know. I'm looking for personal experiences from someone who may have left cocci untreated and had results similar to mine. Also, does cocci add an obvious different smell to their poo..kind of sour smelling and very strong.
Some symptoms of Coccidosis are runny/watery poop(may or MAY NOT contain Blood)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly. Cocci kills very fast,it is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings. Cocci thrives in damp/warm conditions,very common for chicks to have an overload of it. Purchase Corid(amprolium),dosage for Corid powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water,dosage for Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom