Debeaking a grown hen

sudolph

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 24, 2007
Texas
Can you do it, and will it curtail cannibalism? Is it detrimental to the chicken at all? Can they still catch bugs?

I don't think you'll find many people on here that condone debeaking.
What exactly is happening in the flock? There are many ways to solve a problem that don't require debeaking.

I'd sooner just kill one or sell it than mutilate it that way.
sad.png
Has to be some kind of alternative available instead of that...?

My thoughts are if you're having enough trouble from a hen that you need to debeak her, start the debeaking at the neck and have a nice chicken dinner.

..hello....new chicken owner here...so..i dont know much at all....except,..that birds(i have a parrot)...thier beaks are VERY sensitive..almost like OUR finger tips.(honestly).......my african grey fell off his perch one day(i clip his wings, so he couldnt fly)... and he landed on his beak... he bled VERY badly...and screeched when he hit the tile floor..and..how i knew it HURT like heck..was..he didnt fight me at ALL to catch him and hold him in a towel.(usually he's a fresh brat)..and press a towel to his beak to try to stop the bleeding...he was stunned...i KNEW it hurt...so..if it can be avioded..please..try not to do it...OR just cull the bird quickly....thier beaks have alot of nerve endings...honestly...best wishes...Wendy

jeez. twice in a week
roll.png
. heres part of an article on debeaking.

"Debeaking ("beak trimming") has been scientifically demonstrated to cause severe pain in the sensitive beak of a bird and lifelong behavioral impairment. Between the horn and bone of the beak is a thin layer of highly sensitive soft tissue. The hot blade used in debeaking cuts through this complex horn, bone, and sensitive tissue causing severe pain and the formation of tumors in the healed beak stump. Behavioral studies show that debeaked chickens are unable to eat, drink, and preen properly, and that they exhibit behavioral disorders associated with chronic pain and depression. "

If your chickens are pecking at each other, it's probably because they need more space.

If it's only one or two birds that consistently gets picked on, well, it happens. Some chickens get singled out. As long as they are not drawing blood, it's not a huge cause for concern.

I'm assuming the problem has something to do with cannibalism, but I'm curious as to what exactly is going on. Like another poster said, there's got to be some other way to fix the problem rather than debeaking! I'd have to agree, I think that if all else fails it would be more humane to have chicken soup rather than have a chicken live debeaked. Good luck, and let us know what the problem is!

I recently picked up chickens from someone who was giving them away free. Turned out to be some if not all eat their own eggs and others. How would u solve that?

I recently picked up chickens from someone who was giving them away free. Turned out to be some if not all eat their own eggs and others. How would u solve that?

Wait awhile...tis the season for weird eggs that are easily cracked due to brittle, thin shells. That goes away and your egg eaters will mysteriously stop eating eggs about the same time.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom