Declining baby chick

NicoLee1991

Chirping
Dec 28, 2019
Everyone was fine yesterday, today I find one sleeping while everyone else is up and peeping.
So I pick her up and she won't even hold her head up. Will peep and open her eyes a little when I upset her. Droopy wingswont stand. Will drink the water i put in her beak. I just got all of them from the feed store yesterday.
I'd say they are all a week and a couple days old.
They are on regular chick grower non medicated. They have has save a chick in their water. They are on the same bedding my feed store uses.
Has a little chick diarrhea but nothing is blocked. Crop has food and water in it.

I know the outcomes but I just don't know the reason why or how to prevent.

How is your chick doing?

She may be suffering from shipping stress or sadly is a failure to thrive.
I would continue to work on hydrating her with the Sav A Chick and see how it goes.

How is your chick doing?

She may be suffering from shipping stress or sadly is a failure to thrive.
I would continue to work on hydrating her with the Sav A Chick and see how it goes.
The little chick passed shortly after my post.
This is the worst luck I've had with chicks from the store. 3 died out of 18 all within 24/48 hours of brining them home. They were from 2 different stores too. I've never had something like this happen before. I mean I've been keeping chickens for like 5 years now and have like 60 lol.
I am just at a loss of what to do here, all of them seemed fine and then I'd check on them and they'd be dead.
Ugh.
Maybe I'll pick up some corid or medicated feed tomorrow if I remember..

You did nothing wrong and you were only trying to help. What brand and type of food do you have them on? Don't beat yourself up about it, things like this happen and sometimes there's nothing we can do about it.

You did nothing wrong and you were only trying to help. What brand and type of food do you have them on? Don't beat yourself up about it, things like this happen and sometimes there's nothing we can do about it.
I have them on Purina non medicated starter grower. The normal stuff since they changed the starter grower recipie.

I have them on Purina non medicated starter grower. The normal stuff since they changed the starter grower recipie.
What I used for my chicks and what I still feed to the adults, is Purina flock raiser crumbles. It has a lot of vitamins, minerals, calcium, and protein in it. I'm not sure what the non medicated bag looks like. It may have more vitamins in it. Whatever you think is best for your chickies. 😊

What I used for my chicks and what I still feed to the adults, is Purina flock raiser crumbles. It has a lot of vitamins, minerals, calcium, and protein in it. I'm not sure what the non medicated bag looks like. It may have more vitamins in it. Whatever you think is best for your chickies. 😊
So I used to use flock raiser for everyone.. then I hatched a few chicks who all ended up with problems. I had 3 with vitamin b deficiencies and I believe 2 died and 3 more ended up mostly blind or partially blind.. so then as I was cleaning out my garage I found some old empty bags are realized the picture on the flock raiser had changed and the tag now said not for use under 8 weeks of age. I had started using it at the discretion of the farm store lady and it might not have had that warning prior. We have quite a mixed flock here so that complicated things. Also why we don't use medicated chick started since ducks and geese can't have it.
I don't know if that was the problem or not, it was the only time it had happened to me so idk.

The little chick passed shortly after my post.
This is the worst luck I've had with chicks from the store. 3 died out of 18 all within 24/48 hours of brining them home. They were from 2 different stores too. I've never had something like this happen before. I mean I've been keeping chickens for like 5 years now and have like 60 lol.
I am just at a loss of what to do here, all of them seemed fine and then I'd check on them and they'd be dead.
Ugh.
Maybe I'll pick up some corid or medicated feed tomorrow if I remember..

So I used to use flock raiser for everyone.. then I hatched a few chicks who all ended up with problems. I had 3 with vitamin b deficiencies and I believe 2 died and 3 more ended up mostly blind or partially blind.. so then as I was cleaning out my garage I found some old empty bags are realized the picture on the flock raiser had changed and the tag now said not for use under 8 weeks of age.
Purina Flock Raiser can be used from hatch on. Do you have photos of the labels you saw? It would be good to read those...

I'm sorry that you lost the chick and are having troubles this year.

If you are having trouble with chicks you hatch yourself too, then make sure that the parent stock is quality, healthy birds and that they have good nutrition before you even start thinking of collecting eggs.

Troubleshoot incubation issues as well. Check out the BYC Learning Center for articles on incubation, nutrition and more.

Back
Top Bottom