Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
new to the forum, i'm going to bail right in offending people.

i'm going to incubate some eggs soon and expect a half-dozen roosters. can't keep noisy animals so i thought about de-crowing one of them. can't afford the vet so i thought about doing it myself. hey, i know a vet who does animal surgery in the back yard. why not me? it isn't rocket science.

turns out it isn't rocket science. more like brain surgery. dr james gives good info telling us that gas can't be used and anesthetic has to be injected. i don't have the anesthetic or knowledge to do this properly. moreover, dr james has invented some tools i don't have either. of course, with 6 roos i could just experiment without anesthetic. kind of the mengele approach but even a cold-hearted bastd like me won't do that. so, it looks like the stewpot, game size broilers or the no crow collar.

i wonder about the no crow collar. how effective is it? over time does it cause skin lesions or irritations to the roo? i don't want to raise up a bird, fall in love with him and discover the collar doesn't work.

if the collar is advisable, i'm thinking one can just buy velcro and make their own collars anyway?

I applaud your efforts. Many cities, towns,and HOA'S are fickle about noise. Roosters can be very enjoyable to own for beauty, character, and function. However, I have heard that a rooster crow actually stimulates the hens into production much like a babies cry will summon it's mother's milk.

I voted for but with reservations. As far as I am aware the crow has mutch to do with stimulating the hens. However man's law is man's law. A wonderful friend shouldn't have to be put down. I have known of a collie breeder that does something to keep her farm quiet.

you are right. people want to pay because they have bonded with the pet rooster. They won't pay for a decrowed rooster that they don't know.

I voted in favor of this because what a person does with their birds and their money is of no consequence to me. Its not something I would pay money for though but more power to ya if thats what you want to do.

new to the forum, i'm going to bail right in offending people.

i'm going to incubate some eggs soon and expect a half-dozen roosters. can't keep noisy animals so i thought about de-crowing one of them. can't afford the vet so i thought about doing it myself. hey, i know a vet who does animal surgery in the back yard. why not me? it isn't rocket science.

turns out it isn't rocket science. more like brain surgery. dr james gives good info telling us that gas can't be used and anesthetic has to be injected. i don't have the anesthetic or knowledge to do this properly. moreover, dr james has invented some tools i don't have either. of course, with 6 roos i could just experiment without anesthetic. kind of the mengele approach but even a cold-hearted bastd like me won't do that. so, it looks like the stewpot, game size broilers or the no crow collar. 

i wonder about the no crow collar. how effective is it? over time does it cause skin lesions or irritations to the roo? i don't want to raise up a bird, fall in love with him and discover the collar doesn't work.

if the collar is advisable, i'm thinking one can just buy velcro and make their own collars anyway?

There are two members on this site who have reported their rooster died while wearing a no-crow collar . . . .

"There are two members on this site who have reported their rooster died while wearing a no-crow collar "

do they attribute the deaths to the no crow collar?

Back
Top Bottom