Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
There is something inherently disturbing about this idea. I had friends who had their dogs "de-barked", which involved a surgical procedure on their vocal cords. I have to tell you it was very disturbing and depressing to hear these dogs attempt to bark. It did not deter their efforts, just their success. They all sounded like they had larengitis (sp?). It was a bit like tail-docking or cropping ears. In this day and age, when everyone decries "natural", there is nothing natural about this. Roosters are designed to crow, to demonstrate their virility and their dominance. If you don't want a rooster to crow, just don't get one. If you MUST have a rooster, and your neighbors complain, perhaps you are not living in the right place for chickens. There is no need for anyone to mutilate and frustrate any animal just to please your own vanity. Chickens are nice to have; I love mine dearly. But I will never condone any practice designed to disable any animal. I have a dog with a bad leg, who cannot climb. I have another very accomplished climber. I suppose I could have fractured the climber's leg to stop him. He'd manage well on 3 legs and I'd never have to worry about him getting out and getting hit by a car. But no one would condone that ... especially my vet. No, I do not support this practice in any way. It is excessive, and unkind...

I just finished the whole thread. Lots of good conversation and points.

My opinion -- and others do disagree I know -- is that life is better than death in this situation, meaning, a true home cannot be found for your loved bird and it's fate is to be eaten.

Nevertheless, I am grateful that Dr James has spent time and money learning this and sharing his experience here. It is nice to have an open discussion.

As Dr James pointed out, I need to first find out from my neighbors if my cockerel truly disturbs them. And if so, I will seriously consider this. Spring is starting and windows will be opening. They are going to hear him more.... I think the price is appropriate for a surgical procedure. Thanks!

thanks for replying...I suppose the vets in Australia might have an idea on which department should be contacted for the welfare side of the arguement of decrowing a rooster. Government shouldnt have a say in the matter I would presume....but never presume anything ha ha . It would be great to have that skill under your belt..and from the years and years I have been a ranger....and from the constant interest in how to stop roosters from crowing seen on the internet, there is definately a need for it to be justified.

bring it on, maybe you should pay a visit over to our neck of the woods and show us how its done..lol

This is a great idea, and it's long past due that it become a common skill practices by vets everywhere.

Roosters, at least some of them, can be fantastic pets.

The notion that it's cruel to do this to an animal is ridiculous.

What an animal is designed to do by nature as a wild animal is a nonsense when discussing what it is allowed to do living as a domestic animal.

Hell we curbed all sorts of human impulses when we decided to stop living as animals.

Animals that live with humans likewise will have to sacrifices some of their attributes designed for living as wild animals.

In order to stay alive a rooster would probably happily decide to be decrowed.

Some who disagree think they have some sort of special right to decide the matter based on their own values and they don't.

There are a few vets who are interested in this procedure. I've faced much ridicule while trying to learn and develop this surgery. Still think there are many that feel the need for such a procedure.

Here is a video of a silkie that I decrowed this past week for a client. I was given permission to share this. As you can see that the surgery did not deter his crownig, but made it much less noticable.

Dr. James

Awesome! This is truly amazing. I wish I had tried it on my one cockerel before I re-homed him.

Keep it up! There is a market for this. Thanks for giving people an alternative to "freezer camp".

Dr James, I think this is very interesting and there is a market. I suspect that the best market is Urban or semi-rural folks who want to be good neighbors or who like to sleep past 4 am. You know, the folks that name their chickens and cry when they die. The folks that do a lot of culling in all likelihood won't pay for the procedure. Pet vs farm animal.

I was wondering if the procedure dampens all of the noise the rooster makes or if it only quiets the crowing?

I dislike the crowing, but my roo's purpose is a flock protector and he does sound the alarm call when he see's something amiss and gathers his hens. Just last week there were a pair of hawks migrating through and he saw the one perched in the top of the pine tree and got the girls under cover. I would not want to take away that part of his behavior for the sake of sleeping past 4am.
smile.png

I also find it charming when he calls the girls over when he finds treats for them--does the procedure dampen that sound as well?

Thanks in advance for the added info and also for refining the procedure, it will be a very good advance for Urban chicken owners!

I would not ever have this procedure done on any of my roos, no matter the cost. If you want an animal, you get ALL of the animal. I don't believe in hacking it up until it suits you or where you live. I would also never de-bark, de-claw, crop ears, dock tails, or dis-bud any of my animals either.

I would not ever have this procedure done on any of my roos, no matter the cost. If you want an animal, you get ALL of the animal. I don't believe in hacking it up until it suits you or where you live. I would also never de-bark, de-claw, crop ears, dock tails, or dis-bud any of my animals either.

Can I assume that you also are against spaying and neutering your pets as well?

I love my rooster. I love when they crow. I can yell their names and they will crow to tell me where they are. I could never decrow my roosters. They only crow 2 time in the morning. I couldn't afford it either. 200$ is a lot for a family of however many to pay.

Back
Top Bottom