Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I called a lot of local vets a few years ago, trying to find someone who would decrow my rooster. I got a lot of judgement from the nurses who took my phone call. Most of them told me in a very condescending manner that it was cruel. I don't think it cruel at all. Many humans go in for very painful, elective surgery just to correct their appearance. The only thing cruel about it is the fact that the rooster doesn't have a choice in the matter. But I'm 99.9999% sure that if the rooster could talk and I could ask him if he would rather have decrowing surgery or have his head chopped off, his feathers plucked, his guts cut out and his flesh grilled over red hot charcoal and then chewed and digested by an upper primate, that he would most definitely choose to have the surgery. To those judgmental people I ask, if you had cancer and having surgery would save your life, wouldn't you have the surgery?

I can understand vets thinking that the old methods of decrowing were cruel and inhumane. I think it's clear they were/are. The method that Dr James is talking about is NEW and not at all the same type of thing. From what I understand, he makes slits in the noise-making apparatus such that it no longer holds air and thus can't make the loud sounds. So while this is invasive surgery, it doesn't entail the kind of pain and suffering that older methods have. This is also unlike dog debarking in terms of method and side-effects as the sound-making apparatus is not the same. I'm far from a fan of meddling with our animal companions, but I am a great proponent of spay/neuter, so obviously I think that there are interventions that are appropriate.

I think it may be time for Dr. James to share his techniques with a lot of other Vets in some seminars, etc. AND to consider taking his de-crow show on the road like some mobile vets do these days to provide vaccines, etc on site at county fairs, Petsmart, Tractor Supply and the like. Could have a mobile vet clinic - park it outside one of these places - advertise in advance and charge a manageable fee and likely get a good many customers served over, say, a four day stay in the area. Maybe alert the area vets in advance and provide some handy-dandy post-operative instructions that include the local vet's business card, in case of any complications. I would certainly be in the line bright and early one morning outside of the local Tractor Supply Company for that if I wind up with more roosters next Spring....had to find new homes for three this year.......Just saying...........

Quote:

"I can understand vets thinking that the old methods of decrowing were cruel and inhumane. I think it's clear they were/are. The method that Dr James is talking about is NEW and not at all the same type of thing. From what I understand, he makes slits in the noise-making apparatus such that it no longer holds air and thus can't make the loud sounds. So while this is invasive surgery, it doesn't entail the kind of pain and suffering that older methods have. This is also unlike dog debarking in terms of method and side-effects as the sound-making apparatus is not the same. I'm far from a fan of meddling with our animal companions, but I am a great proponent of spay/neuter, so obviously I think that there are interventions that are appropriate."

Oh, didn't know that, but I'll take your word for it. I guess I stand corrected then. I didn't know anything about it, but just remembered having heard of it mentioned someplace, and I just assumed that it would've been done under some sort of anesthetic, and wouldn't be too barbaric.

Actually, truth be told, I didn't end up killing and eating the rooster. I was just annoyed that they were so condescending to me on the phone. I ended up taking the rooster out to the country and letting him go in a big grassy field by a national forest. I wondered if that would be even more cruel because he might not get enough food. But I don't think that was the case, because I barely had to feed the chickens I had as a kid, because they ate so much grass, and insects and things.

Last edited:
Sorry about not getting back on here to post. There looks to be a bit of discussion going on.

Somebody asked if it changes the other sounds, it will make them much more subdued. You can usually still here the cackles, but might just be a whisper. Just have to realize that all birds are different and some lose more voice than others and this isn't a guarantee. Sometimes they return to almost full voice when completely healed.

I do have several young roosters that are decrowed, and satisfied with the outcome, that I am planning on selling. A few seramas, blue splash Japanese and a golden duckwing leghorn. The leghorn stag is the only standard I have right now, he has more voice than I'd like. But I think its sufficient because I live in a camper about 10 ft from the pen and don't even notice him crowing. The others that haven't had surgery are a different story though. I still have several young ones that will be decrowed when they get older, more bantams and a bunch of standards. I'll get some videos up when I remember to bring my camera to the clinic.

The mobile surgery thing is a good idea but I'm only licensed in Oklahoma, so I really couldn't do the vet work in other states. I think there are ways to practice temporarily under somebody elses license and still stay legal.

Lots of good questions. Thanks.

Dr. James

I wish I could find someone around here that does this surgery, we are still waiting to see if one of our girls is truly a girl, I'm just hoping she is developing soon at 3 months and will be laying at 4 1/2 months. I love my babies I've had them since they were two days old nursed them back to health tamed them. Funny thing is my son and I hear a strange noise it's like a gurgling similar to what I heard a broody hen sound like, but with extra sounds. I guess I'm just paranoid now that my new neighbor moved in and made it clear how there better be no boys UGH so of course I ressured her only to be questioning myself.

If someone is to ship a chicken what is involved? You buy a bird box granted but what else? What day is the best to ship, how do you prepare the bird, do you need any lab work done before the bird is shipped for a decrow surgery. How old should the bird be? How long until it is known if it worked? How long until the bird is shipped back? Are there temps you shouldn't ship a full grown bird at? About how much does it cost to mail a grown bird? Are other fees involved for lab work etc?
I ask because I am quite sure I have at least 2 young roosters.

Last edited:
Hey doc James
I have been following this thread for ages and have a few comments ...do you think you would be interested in teaching my vet the procedure in Australia? We are very interested in the procedure., my personal email is

[email protected]

hope you hear from you soon

warmest regards

samantha

The real problem is having to live near people who are uptight about animals. If only we could keep the roosters and rehome our neighbors....

Back
Top Bottom