Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
The box is a special one, you can find them online. Heat is a concern, as long as you don't pack them too tight they seem to do fine. I just had 3 young KO Shamo's shipped in last week and they were fine. Most people like to ship on a Monday so they don't get caught over the weekend. The best way is to use Express mail, I know people who have used Priority though and it worked out. Each state is different with what is required for importation, OK requires a certificate of health from a vet, and either NPIP certification or a Neg pullorum/typhoid test. Most states do this for free or really cheap, you can usually check with you state's dept of ag. I know some states also require a neg Avian flu test.

I water and feed the bird the first day, fast him that night and do the surgery the next day. That way I can watch him as long as possible before shipping back the following Monday. I have actually shipped one the day after surgery and he got there in great shape, she actually forgot to pick him up so he spent an extra day at the P.O. The cost is based on weight, but the bantams I got the other day was $50 for overnight. If that helps.

I think it seems to work better on younger birds. About 3 weeks post is where the volume seems to stay. Just give a shout if you have any more questions. Thanks.

Well, I've done some checking with a local vet about the costs for the items you listed. $43. for an exam, $27.00 for health certificate, for blood draws and tests anywhere from $40-60 per sample (two tests needed about $120?). $50 you estimated for shipping, then $200 for the procedure. The shipping boxes are sold in lots of three for $60. Looking at least $500 per bird. I was also told the pullorum test takes 2 to 4 weeks. Just something to consider.
To ship to my state (Utah) requires these tests in addition to the exam and health cert: Salmonella Pullorum, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, Mycoplasma Synoviae, and Mycoplasma Melgridis.

Last edited:
Well, I've done some checking with a local vet about the costs for the items you listed. $43. for an exam, $27.00 for health certificate, for blood draws and tests anywhere from $40-60 per sample (two tests needed about $120?). $50 you estimated for shipping, then $200 for the procedure. The shipping boxes are sold in lots of three for $60. Looking at least $500 per bird. I was also told the pullorum test takes 2 to 4 weeks. Just something to consider.
To ship to my state (Utah) requires these tests in addition to the exam and health cert: Salmonella Pullorum, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, Mycoplasma Synoviae, and Mycoplasma Melgridis.

The information you've been given has some problems. Firstly, the pullorum test is an immediate-results test, called a "bird-side" test. If the vet told you it takes 2 to 4 weeks, they don't know what they are talking about. Secondly, the test is usually done by the County Ag Agent or designated person and isn't actually done by vets-- or, to put it another way, if you get it done by a vet you're going to pay out the wazoo to get it done.

Dr James advised me to speak to speak to the County Ag Agent (via the County Extension) here in Louisiana. I have done so, and have an appointment next week for my rooster. They are set up to drive to the location of the bird(s), but you pay an extra fee for that, so I'm bringing my rooster to the agent. The pullorum test is FREE, and the health certificate is $25.00. He will be testing the bird on his pick-up tailgate, issuing the health certificate, and we're going to drive back away.

For certain, a person would have to be very dedicated to a rooster to get this done. That's already established. But if folks won't go the extra mile to talk to their County Ag Agent (via County Extension), it will cost more and you might get poor information to boot. I already know-- after reading the above post I panicked about the length of time it would take to the get the test and started calling around to find out. None of the vets I talked to had ANY CLUE about the test, and even people within the County Extension didn't know, but kept sending me on to the next person. I finally connected with knowledgeable people and as a result have my appointment set up for next week.

Wishing all well.
--Victoria

The information you've been given has some problems.  Firstly, the pullorum test is an immediate-results test, called a "bird-side" test. If the vet told you it takes 2 to 4 weeks, they don't know what they are talking about.  Secondly, the test is usually done by the County Ag Agent or designated person and isn't actually done by vets-- or, to put it another way, if you get it done by a vet you're going to pay out the wazoo to get it done.

Dr James advised me to speak to speak to the County Ag Agent (via the County Extension) here in Louisiana. I have done so, and have an appointment next week for my rooster.  They are set up to drive to the location of the bird(s), but you pay an extra fee for that, so I'm bringing my rooster to the agent. The pullorum test is FREE, and the health certificate is $25.00.  He will be testing the bird on his pick-up tailgate, issuing the health certificate, and we're going to drive back away.

For certain, a person would have to be very dedicated to a rooster to get this done.  That's already established.  But if folks won't go the extra mile to talk to their County Ag Agent (via County Extension), it will cost more and you might get poor information to boot.  I already know-- after reading the above post I panicked about the length of time it would take to the get the test and started calling around to find out.  None of the vets I talked to had ANY CLUE about the test, and even people within the County Extension didn't know, but kept sending me on to the next person.  I finally connected with knowledgeable people and as a result have my appointment set up for next week.

Wishing all well.
--Victoria

Thanks for the info! I lucked out the all were pullets, since we don't have any roosters our older hens have taken on some makes and get very loud. So the one set of babies were making all sorts of strange noises so we thought we may of had a too but nope all is well. So hopefully I should have the money in the next few Weeks to purchase a deceased roosters fingers crossed

Hey, I found the Utah website for poultry importation http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r058/r058-006.htm#T3 and it says that all is needed is a health certificate, an import permit from your state and a Neg pullorum/typhoid or NPIP. If I'm sending a bird of mine up there the HC is free (since I'm a vet) and my birds are NPIP certified so they dont need a neg pullorum/typhoid test. I actually just got certified to do the pullorum/typhoid testing in OK the other day. Also, I have shipping boxes available for $10 plus the shipping to get them to you if can't find them locally. I was told some airports have individual boxes, but I've never checked into that.

Going to vet for most of this stuff is a bad idea, most vets won't even look a chicken. Let alone know how to go about shipping them legally.

Miquid, you shouldn't have to save up very long to buy a "deceased" rooster. Ha. But he would be quiet.

Thanks all.

Dr. James

Miquid, you shouldn't have to save up very long to buy a "deceased" rooster. Ha. But he would be quiet.

lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom