Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
so would it be $250 for a decrowed bird to be shipped here?

And do you make guinea fowl less loud?
Give or take, probably in that area if you had the box already. Also, don't forget the certificate of vet inspection and Pullorum testing if you aren't NPIP certifified.

I tried this on a guinea, seemed to work for a few weeks then right back to the squawking. The anatomy is different than a chicken.

Quote:
I note that using the term "injury" indicates the poster's point of view, that is, that the softening of the crow constitutes an injury.

I am pretty sure that the rooster I just had the procedure done on would much rather have that experience than to be sent to "freezer camp" or whatever other euphemism gets used on this board. My rooster is extremely happy, ecstatic he is, to be home again with his girls, only possible because he isn't so loud anymore. I would go a little further and say that the keeping of chickens and taking of their eggs every day is "unnatural" to the chickens, and takes a much greater physical toll on the hens than if she were in the wild and only laying during season. So I just think some people are being hypocritical to be bitterly opposed to the decrowing procedure as it is being done by Dr James, that is to say, humanely. My rooster doesn't know the difference, except that he's alive and in the bosom of his family. I will post a full report soon.

How about peafowl? If you ever find that u can do it with guinea or anything I will be a great customer to you
smile.png

And what about silence in roos being passed on through genes? is that possible?
I've been looking for a peacock to try. The surgery is supposed to work on them. I'd be glad to try one if somebody has one that they'd be willing to get to me. Guineas are just different in the anatomy, so I doubt I can figure out a way to get it work with them. The surgery doesn't have any effect on the next generation. The boys out of a quiet rooster will still crow when the instinct kicks in. I don't know, but I would assume there are some people breeding for quiet roosters?

it is a cruel, risky and unnecessary practice ... there are other humane options available. IF you live in town and are worried about your rooster crowing, then box him at night. If you can't be bothered with the little bit of extra effort, then just don't have a rooster!

Its on a par with de clawing cats, and de barking dogs

What about if someone wanted to de squawk a parrot?

Roosters crow, peacocks scream, babies cry and poop, and that is it.

Any vet encouraging people to have these things done to their animals is acting very unethically, and is only interested in making money.

it is a cruel, risky and unnecessary practice ... there are other humane options available. IF you live in town and are worried about your rooster crowing, then box him at night. If you can't be bothered with the little bit of extra effort, then just don't have a rooster!

Any vet encouraging people to have these things done to their animals is acting very unethically, and is only interested in making money.
The issue of decrowing is obviously polarizing which will hopefully go away over time as people adjust to concept. The challenge of ethics of concerning monetary gain I am inclined to agree with. Especially when no interest is apparent in making procedure more widespread, rather ship the bird to this vet and get it done for a price.

I guess maybe you have different roosters over there, but here ours crow at ALL hours. At night is the only time mine did not crow. I guess vets that spay are only in it for the money also right?

The challenge of ethics of concerning monetary gain I am inclined to agree with. Especially when no interest is apparent in making procedure more widespread, rather ship the bird to this vet and get it done for a price.

I know you have been on this thread for a while and several times he has said he would love to talk to other vets. I am sure it is not a procedure that can just be taught over the phone, the vet would have to come to him to learn it, It is not his responsibility to travel around and teach other vets. My vet has little interest in even talking about the procedure, let alone traveling to learn it. I am sure he had to travel to learn and he elected to do that, and should be paid for his knowledge, efforts and services. Not sure that means someones ethics should be challenged.

Back
Top Bottom