Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I have read different parts of this thread at different times. and I admit I do have mixed feelings on this. I do love to hear my roosters crow, but I realize not everyone does.

first off, im happy to see someone can do this. for people who live in city limits it makes a hobby breeding program possible. this allows more children to participate in 4-H, FFA and other farm related activities. for those of you who don't know me - I push teaching kids to farm. I think all school systems should offer a class on it.

a major issue I have had with the people who are against this is, they act like all roosters are disposable. thankfully all my neighbors are fine with my rather large flock. I am out in the country most of us here grew up with a rooster for an alarm clock. now, put yourself in my shoes, I have rare birds and several show quality birds. next summer im planning importing a rare breed, I will have more money in 2 trios than a lot of people have in their cars. I will have a good bit more than $1,500.00 in 1 chicken. this particular breed is very near extinct with less than 20 surviving birds. if my neighbors complained about their crowing, I would most certainly pay for this surgery. I am chicken obsessed I do admit, and with the cost of these birds, im pretty sure your not going to give them to someone to butcher. selling them would be hard too, a lot of people would never spend that kind of money on a chicken. only people like me with special interests in preserving a breed. oh, and for the "non profit" people - I do plan on eventually making a profit from this breed
tongue2.gif
that is another part of what I do.

until we vote and make farm animals equal to people it will be impossible to "decomplain" a neighbor.
lau.gif

on a last note, its really none of my business what any of you do with your chickens, its none of your business on what I do with my chickens. putting people down for properly taking care of animals is a lot like me saying "get off your computer, exercise and spend some time with your family!" again, that is none of my business.

Dr James suspects that the less a rooster crows (or attempts to crow) during the first 3 weeks after the procedure, the more successful the procedure will be. . .

Dr James observes that older roosters have less easy success with this procedure than younger ones do (they can tend to regain more voice). . .
We have considered this procedure off and on and have asked some questions about the procedure as well. I thought one of Dr. James responses to us was useful info too.

"I think that it works better if they are young, before they start crowing. It seems that about 2 lbs or less is the size it works best on. I think that all the crowing the older roosters do after the surgery causes some scar tissue to build up and they gain voice back. I done a bunch of young, pre crowing large breeds of mine and they all seem to be pretty quiet. The bantams seem to work any time I do them."

That might answer why you would have to prevent them crowing for the first 3 weeks and why it might work better on a younger rooster. Just thought I should share that info from our research and it would help.

Last edited:
I have a problem. I obtained some adult birds from a hatchery and one little hen is not being accepted. I have to keep food and water separate in another part of the barn for her. Then I have another from a previous batch that is left from the neighbor's dog's kill of 14 chickens. She really brings this on herself for she is hoggish with the food and the cock runs her away. So she is fed separately also and she does not accept the other hen. Is there a way to make these chickens accept each other? I want to keep them in a mobile coop for winter but I am afraid the rooster will kill them. If someone has a suggestion, please respond to rei42728@yahoo because I can never find the place where I was before or answers. Thanks

Coming home now from Dr James office in Spiro, OK. My rooster Little Bit had the syringotomy procedure to decrease sound volume of his crow.

The office and vet are friendly and professional. He gave clear preop and postop instructions. He addressed all my questions. Anesthesia is the most common complication problem but is not common.

We drove our birds up from Dallas area. That area of Oklahoma/Arkansas is gorgeous! Rolling hills, vistas , and woods.

The doc recommended a steakhouse The Ribeye in Fort Smith (10 miles away) We enjoyed that and stayed over night in Fort Smith although the little roo was ready .

Picked him up then meandered the Talimena scenic byway . He was all chicken munching on the grasses and seeds from the many scenic turnouts.

No after surgery problems. He has a funny airy sound. No vocalizations so far.

We are thrilled to have this as an option to keep the little guy out of a stew pot.

I thank Dr James for pioneering attitude in further developing the procedure. I will keep ya'll posted on his recovery.

Dress owner discussed much on her recent post. I will happily tell you mine is 2 days postop and thriving. No regrets.

If you have any questions from an owners view, just ask. Dr James was very helpful in organizing this thru
private messages. Do not hesitate to write him!

This is not meant to sell his services, but to share the experience.

Back
Top Bottom