Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
thumbsup.gif

Just like people feel their dog doesn't need to be neutered but they let them have the key to the city.
I feel we should have a chance/choice as to whether to do it or not. I say do it!

I'm excited to be getting a decrowed rooster from Dr. James. It's the noise issues and our neighbors made it quite clear. But he will a great addition to our flock.

My only issue with this- and I have close neighbors but would love to have a decrowed roo- is that all these rescued roosters are going to make more little roosters, so this doesn't solve all the problems. If I 'm reluctant to get rid of one beloved rooster, it's going to be even harder to get rid of the next 5!

My only issue with this- and I have close neighbors but would love to have a decrowed roo- is that all theserescued roosters are going to make more little roosters, so this doesn't solve all the problems. If I 'm reluctant to get rid of one beloved rooster, it's going to be even harder to get rid of the next 5!
" All these?" That's a rather sweeping statement. there are PLENTY of roosters in flocks which never produce chicks, ever, because the owners gather the eggs and do NOT incubate them. The presence of roosters does not automatically mean eggs will be hatched. Therefore, no little roosters result from de-crowing one; egg management controls the flock population. Leaving the eggs for a broody hen to hatch OR artificially incubating the fertile eggs is not something every flock owner does. From what I have been able to determine, the folks who really need / desire this procedure have very small backyard flocks with either an accidental -yet beloved - rooster or neighbors which complain about crowing. They want to KEEP their roo; the eggs are for consumption and gathered for that purpose. Perhaps breeders sell some eggs for hatching, but those are sold, leaving the property. It's not likely to be a routine option for the great majority of flocks.

Hi, I read a lot of the posts here, but not all of them. I didn't see if the de-crowing service was offered in Southern California. Does anyone know? thanks.

My only issue with this- and I have close neighbors but would love to have a decrowed roo- is that all these rescued roosters are going to make more little roosters, so this doesn't solve all the problems. If I 'm reluctant to get rid of one beloved rooster, it's going to be even harder to get rid of the next 5!

I purchased my forever roo, Daryle post surgery. He wasn't one I had already fallen in love with and couldn't part with. Daryle was chosen because he is so quiet (almost silent). Having purchased straight run chicks several roos have had to go "to a farm in the country". Personally I had my reasons to seek out a crow-less roo, grumpy neighbors and social benefits for the flock .While I wouldn't rule out hatching I have no plans to.
Daryle has been here almost a month now and I couldn't be happier with him. He keeps the flock together while foraging, watches for danger, and has put a stop to the squabbles between hens that used to happen daily. I believe many small flocks like mine could benefit from this surgery. It is also easier on my 4 yr old boy to send loud roos away knowing he can keep Daryle.

I actually find it kind of strange that a thread talking about doing something to reduce the volume (not totally silence) of the crow gets everyone fired up on behalf of the poor roosters but one about caponizing is pretty much accepted as fine and dandy. Not to mention all the home surgeries performed on the flocks here on an almost daily basis with no pain relief. Oh and don't get me started on posting live chicks with "live packing peanuts" and extras to make up for the dead in transit ones which apparently feel no pain as they suffocate or whatever to death . Somehow on the scale of horrid things to do to poultry this sits pretty **** low but yet this is what gets folks riled up. Go figure lol

Would I have it done? Well when we had to rehome our pet rooster and could find no takers I went looking for other ways to fix the noise issue (thus how I learnt about caponizing). So I guess had we not found our rooster a good home eventually yes I would have considered it. To us they are pets just like a cat or dog is. I have an animal hair alergy and they fill that gap for the kids. A friend paid $1,500 for a hip problem surgery in his dog only for it to do its other hip six months later. So $200 for a pet is nothing really and with the alternative being death I would have given it a try.

Back
Top Bottom