Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Hi, I read a lot of the posts here, but not all of them. I didn't see if the de-crowing service was offered in Southern California. Does anyone know? thanks.

As far as I know there are only two vets in this country that can and/or will do this surgery. I'm one of them and the vet in Phoenix that taught me. I searched for a couple of years to find this procedure and someone who was willing to teach it.

I have had several people interested from CA. It is actually pretty difficult and what I would consider expensive to legally export poultry out of that state. There is no government funding for the bio-security programs for backyard poultry like in most other states. Also, vet costs are considerably higher. I might be able to get you in touch with somebody that could help with testing to legally export him if you are interested in shipping him.

Interestingly, CA had a pretty severe outbreak of Newcastle's disease which resulted in a mass kill-off of poultry (including backyard flocks) in that state. Poultry vets were flown in from all over the country on short notice to help contain the spread. It's kind of funny that CA has the most lax regulations concerning disease in poultry and seems to have disease issues that other states just don't see. I take this bio-security stuff pretty seriously and I think its good PR that backyard poultry owners do the same. I'll get off of my soap box.

There have been some pretty good posts here lately. If anybody has any questions feel free to message me.

Thanks.

Dr. James

As far as I know there are only two vets in this country that can and/or will do this surgery. I'm one of them and the vet in Phoenix that taught me. I searched for a couple of years to find this procedure and someone who was willing to teach it.

I have had several people interested from CA. It is actually pretty difficult and what I would consider expensive to legally export poultry out of that state. There is no government funding for the bio-security programs for backyard poultry like in most other states. Also, vet costs are considerably higher. I might be able to get you in touch with somebody that could help with testing to legally export him if you are interested in shipping him.

Interestingly, CA had a pretty severe outbreak of Newcastle's disease which resulted in a mass kill-off of poultry (including backyard flocks) in that state. Poultry vets were flown in from all over the country on short notice to help contain the spread. It's kind of funny that CA has the most lax regulations concerning disease in poultry and seems to have disease issues that other states just don't see. I take this bio-security stuff pretty seriously and I think its good PR that backyard poultry owners do the same. I'll get off of my soap box.

There have been some pretty good posts here lately. If anybody has any questions feel free to message me.

Thanks.

Dr. James
Hi Dr. James, thank you for your reply. I didn't know about the disease outbreak in CA. It is true that the vet costs in CA are high. I wish the service you offer is available in CA and I would be willing to drive. I don't want to ship my rooster. My alternative is to find him a home where he can crow to his heart's content.

I just received a Golden Leghorn decrowed Rooster from Dr. James today, he made it through the 2 day trip quite well. This is one of Dr. James's birds that he hatched and decrowed. We got him home and he heard our very loud girls and "crowed" it was so quiet and breathy with very slight noise it's great. So we got him hydrated with fruit and water and I know he got himself some bugs, good boy! He's in a big dog crate that I put it in a chick tractor. He seems pretty content, so we are going to get him on some grass tomorrow scratching and doing his thing Then since it's going to be warm this weekend I'm going to move the giant tractor on some weeds and do a separated introduction. He's so great and our neighbors will be very happy. We named him Leonard.

I just received a Golden Leghorn decrowed Rooster from Dr. James today, he made it through the 2 day trip quite well. This is one of Dr. James's birds that he hatched and decrowed. We got him home and he heard our very loud girls and "crowed" it was so quiet and breathy with very slight noise it's great. So we got him hydrated with fruit and water and I know he got himself some bugs, good boy! He's in a big dog crate that I put it in a chick tractor. He seems pretty content, so we are going to get him on some grass tomorrow scratching and doing his thing Then since it's going to be warm this weekend I'm going to move the giant tractor on some weeds and do a separated introduction. He's so great and our neighbors will be very happy. We named him Leonard.
So happy for you. Please update on how he's doing in a few days, weeks, months, etc. Also, can you disclose how much he costs?

I think it's a brilliant idea. There are rescues in urban areas overrun with Roos no one has the wherewithal to kill. If we as a society are going to elevate livestock to "pet" status we should at least be responsible about it. I think decrowing is a good idea. Price is a bit steep though to my thinking.

It's not a bad price when it comes to surgery. The copay on my surgery this year was more than that and it was just removing a cyst and some tissue around it. An inverted eyelid on a dog cost around $400 per eye not to mention any extra meds. Surgery on birds alone is crazy much less chickens so I think the price is good. In addition you are paying for quality and care. And if you purchase an already decrowed bird its even better the bird only has to be shipped once, Dr. James does everything you just contact your local post office to let them know, I went down in person with ID to let them know I was getting a live bird, left all my information and they quickly called me as sonn as he came in on all my phone numbers, they make sure they get ahold of you.

I will Post photos soon and I will try and get a video.

I usually don't disclose cost information but Dr. James can give you a quote. He's pretty straight forward no hidden cost. He will talk to you and give you all the information that you need.

It's fine if people want to pay that much to be able to keep their pet roo:). It's not a choice I have to make as I live in the sticks. I'm actually glad Dr. James is offering this as an option. I honestly believe there should always be a roo in every flock. They serve an important purpose and if shtf (yes I'm one of them lol) you can perpetuate your flock to feed your family. Urban rules against Roos are stupid anyway. They certainly are less annoying than barking dogs. I know because some days I consider shooting my dogs myself lol. Even four Roos all night long have nothing on them
1f609.png

I am glad it is an option for those who can afford it. I am not spending $200 on any single chicken. I love my roosters but if it gets to be that big of a problem I love my eggs more, so the roosters would have to go. Considering I can buy roosters hatched for $2.00 ea. that would be 100 roosters I could buy live for the price of decrowing one. I live in a semi urban enviornment so far nobody has complained about my roosters. But I would not be surprised if somebody did. I would simply ask them which is worse your dog that barks all night long or the motocross / 4wheeler park across the road that went in without anybodys permission. I get to listen to LOUD dirt bikes and 4 wheelers all day and night Fri, Sat, and Sun. and holidays.
he.gif
It is open 7 days a week and has opened a campground, but thankfully the worst days are fri, sat, and sun. in the summer. It is not too bad in the winter except on Saturday Drag race nights.
sickbyc.gif

If I had more land here I would open a full shooting range with trap, skeet, competition rifle, and pistol. But I just use my little mini range for personal use.
woot.gif

I agreed it was a lot I saved up for two months, but I live on an urban homestead and I need chickens and specifically a rooster, in order to keep the flock going. My chickens provide food, compost, and the prepare my garden beds for me along with bug control. And as it turns out the will eat small rodents and frogs even my silkies! I saw them eat a nest of baby rats eeewwww. But anywho my garden is amazing I got some great veggies and 9ft sunflowers. Now I'm doing a deep litter method for the winter then back grass for spring.

And yes dogs are far louder than a rooster!

I agreed it was a lot I saved up for two months, but I live on an urban homestead and I need chickens and specifically a rooster, in order to keep the flock going. My chickens provide food, compost, and the prepare my garden beds for me along with bug control. And as it turns out the will eat small rodents and frogs even my silkies! I saw them eat a nest of baby rats eeewwww. But anywho my garden is amazing I got some great veggies and 9ft sunflowers. Now I'm doing a deep litter method for the winter then back grass for spring.

And yes dogs are far louder than a rooster!
He's a handsome fella. Good luck with your urban farm. I just started on my 'farm', too.

Back
Top Bottom