Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
That is a good looking bird you got there! I really do think it is awesome that they can do that. I mean it is a great idea, just too expensive an option for me. If I put that much money in a bird he would have to live inside my house where NO predator could get to him
hide.gif
. I'm sure there probably are some inside pet chickens which would be really cool. I work a swing shift job it is hard enough for me to keep up with outside chickens
D.gif
. I am really and surprised that I have not lost more to predators considering where I live. I know it is going to be a constant battle for me. I know I have almost every predator in the American book near me except maybe a weasel or mink I don't know if they live around here.

Great job doc! Now can you work on getting that smell out of the poo? JK LOL

Thanks I worry but I have some safe guards I use tractors so they can get sun and be on grass. it works great with creating gardening spots. I love Leonard already!

Here is a video of the Blue andalusian that is available for sale. Please contact me with any questions. I also have other breeds available. Thanks.

Dr. James

Hey,
I'm just wanting to check in with the folks that have either received or I have performed the surgery on their rooster. Wondering if all is well with them. Hoping you guys are following this thread. Thanks.

Dr. James

My Little Bit is doing great! We had no postop problems at all!

His crow is soft and short, and he really does not use it much. He lives in my back yard in town. I can hear a soft crow in front yard and in house occasionally. Certainly not a nuisance sound in the neighborhood. My newly laying hens are alot louder! And then there are the nonstop barking dogs about the area.....

He is a typical crazed teenage boy! Doing a crazy chicken dance to flirt with the girls quite often! A good guardian for them as well. His soft warnings are heeded when he perceives danger near.

I am thrilled with the results! And the fact that he was saved from the stewpot and can live with us w/o neighbor issues!

So we purchased a young decrowed rooster from Dr. James and even though he was quiet it did echo off our fence so as gracious as he is he switched him with his Brother who is just as wonderful. He makes a different noise and is quiet but just enough noise to know he's there. My neighbors are very happy there isn't a rooster waking them at 4:30am. And we are very happy this guy is working for us. We named him Rajesh, right now he only has 10 girls but soon he will have 3 more when the youngest is old enough to go in the coop. He's still learning the ins and outs of being a roo he's scared of my son and I but when we catch him he's fine. My barred rock has been picking on him since now the pecking order has to be re-established, and she is not having this LOL. But Rajesh has been making strides and did assert himself a few times. Otherwise he is able to help keep the peace with the girls since we have 6 fierce amber sexlinks who are in no way docile, friendly but fiesty, and they pick on everyone except themselves the barred rock and of course Rajesh. The other three are lower on the totem pole and he helps keep things running smooth. I noticed that he is letting his girls eat first and he is always on the look out well now he is at first he was a bit scared and it was hard to get him outside. Our barred rock is use to being the look out so everyone always follows her, but even with the roo she seemed to relax more with him there and let him do the hard work. I believe she was so use to being the top hen and roo for so long it can be hard for her to let go but when I put them on fresh weeds she let loose then! When my harvest is done they can have my garden as I built a bigger one and I'm putting a greenhouse in since they have worked the land so well for me.

So I honestly though he'd be a bit meaner and warned my son on how to approach and handle and what to do and the next thing I know is he's holding him. He's my chicken whisperer I should have figured when he tamed our crazy evil silkie who yes is a hen eggs and all, she would posture and fly (or glide) in your face. And did this to every bird except our barred rock and other silkie. So Rajesh turned out to be timid and not mean and is slowly learning to accept our presence.

Dr James, I got the videos on you tube but can't figure out how to put the links. Please just search you tube for "little bit , decrowed rooster. They are short clips from 3 to 4 weeks post op. I will try to catch a more recent video in next day or two and post on you tube.

This is Daryl,a blue splash bantam, I got from Dr. James in late June. He has settled in very well. He has a calm personality and is tolerant with my 4yr olds antics. My house cat used to sleep out in the chicken run under the tree but Daryl put a stop to that. Every time she would get comfy he would sneak up and peck her.It was good "chicken t.v." Overall he doesn't crow much except when the wild pheasants are in the area, then he tries to warn them it is his territory. Thankfully Daryl is almost silent.His crow comes out as kind of a gurgled whisper sound and I've never heard him cluck or chatter like the hens. My family and I are happy with the results of the surgery and are considering getting a post surgery LF roo to add to our flock.

Back
Top Bottom