Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Dear Dr. James,
Can you recommend a vet in Maryland who is knowledgable of the decrowing procedure? Thank you
I know of only 2 people in this country that can or will do this procedure. One of them is me, the other is the vet in Phoenix that taught me. It's not taught anywhere or in any of the literature that I could find. It took me a couple of years of searching to find somebody to teach me. Have you looked into shipping your bird?

Dr. James

Shipping cost is dependent on your local post office plus the price of shipping box. If you don't have a rooster already it may be better to purchase one from him. But only him or the vet that taught him can do this and it's worth every cent.

I posted a long description of our experience with taking our rooster, Dred, to Dr James for the surgery (it's back at post #279 on page 28). We remain extremely happy that we spent the time and money to get it done, and believe me Dred is extremely happy to be back in the bosom of his family. He's a super sweet rooster, which is why we didn't want to give him up when the neighbor complained about the noise. And we love having a rooster as part of our chicken experience-- it's clear to us he serves an important function in keeping the flock together and it's lovely to be able to enjoy that.

Dred was already 2 years old when the surgery was done. So he isn't as quiet as a rooster will be who has it done when they are young. But it's enough to have changed the whole situation, and our neighbor has now talked with both of us about the fact that there's a "new" rooster here that is much much quieter, and he's not lodging a complaint with us about the noise.

As I said in my long report, Dred's relationship with his hens is the same as it was before the surgery. He is just as effective as a rooster. Please read my report if you want to know how I know that Dred was out of his mind with joy when he realized he was back at home with his girls. Before the surgery, he would bustle around and round up girls who were separated from the group. He still does that. So before, his calls weren't always enough, he'd have to actually physically herd them sometimes, and that's still true. So the idea that this surgery hurts Dred's ability to function as a roo is, I think, not supported by the evidence.

Thank you, Dr James, once again, for deciding that something needed to be done about this problem and researching the procedure, studying with the doc in Arizona, and bringing our attention to this possibility. I'm so grateful.

So this is an update on the Rooster we bought from Dr. James. Rajesh is fitting in quite well. I moved the coop and pen to the end of the yard so they can get more weeds and bugs. Well unfortunately we are having a feral cat problem that animal control has been helping with and thanks goodness. But still I think Rajesh is on high alert. Well yesterday I came home and unloaded the truck with two fifty pound bags of food and oyster shells well I injured myself running that morning so was I'm bubbling down the hill and down the stairs pass the silkies and babies, to the shed where I must have put Rajesh on high alert because he couldn't see me coming so he must have rounded up the girls into the coop, well I walked around to the front of the pen and he came out the coop to see what was up and when it was just me he relaxed and called the girls back out and so I gave everyone treats! What a good boy! He's a good worker not crazy friendly but I'd rather he not trust every human and just protect his girls. The pen is working well though I'm building them a big wooden run with better fencing to keep them protected. (Especially after my neighbor admitted to letting her cat run loose and asked us not to send it the shelter if we trap it, and tried to appease us with chicken mags) Also Rajesh and my barred rock are actually on better terms I'm not sure they have mated yet but it's clear she stopped picking on him so much. This is a true blessing from Dr. James! And we are very thankful for Rajesh playing a key role in our small flock.

I will post video of him when he's a bit more comfortable around me and I can catch a good decrowed crow.

Dr James-
Thank you so much for offering this wonderful service.
We live in a very quiet neighborhood and have 2 cockerels(a Dorking and Ameraucana) who just started crowing. One was a "packing peanut" from the hatchery and the other one was supposed to be a she....The Dorking, especially, has turned out so sweet that I am finding it difficult to give him away or process him. I am not sure he can handle shipping to OK and I just read your post about how difficult it can be to export poultry from CA to another state. Do you make traveling calls out of state? Would it be more worth your while if I can find others who wish to have their cockerels decrowed at the same time?
I am sure the cost would prove prohibitive but I wanted to at least ask for this little guy's sake. Thank you!!

I will be watching for your pre-de-crowed cockerels too. Do you take orders for specific breeds? Thanks

Dr James: re Little Bit postop:

He is great! Growing up with typical teenage rooster lust and craziness. Doing a silly chicken dance to flirt with the 6 hens. Is still buddies with his white wyndotte girlie. Soft crow, really does not try real often.. I brag on you all the time. I am so very happy to be able to keep the little heathen! I can hear a soft crow in the front yard when he tries, but not much further. We had absolutely NO problems post op. Thanks for checking in on us!

Doris in Denton, TX

Dr James-
Thank you so much for offering this wonderful service.
We live in a very quiet neighborhood and have 2 cockerels(a Dorking and Ameraucana) who just started crowing. One was a "packing peanut" from the hatchery and the other one was supposed to be a she....The Dorking, especially, has turned out so sweet that I am finding it difficult to give him away or process him. I am not sure he can handle shipping to OK and I just read your post about how difficult it can be to export poultry from CA to another state. Do you make traveling calls out of state? Would it be more worth your while if I can find others who wish to have their cockerels decrowed at the same time?
I am sure the cost would prove prohibitive but I wanted to at least ask for this little guy's sake. Thank you!!

I will be watching for your pre-de-crowed cockerels too. Do you take orders for specific breeds? Thanks

Hey,

I can't really go out of state and do vet work without being licensed in those states. I haven't had any birds not handle shipping, but it is a really hassle to get them out of CA legally. I actually do have a couple of young Dorkings (the name fits) and several EE that are growing up that will soon go through the surgery. I don't really see the logistics of specific breeds, I order the "rooster special" from the hatchery as well as what few I save back of my own breeding. It'd end up getting too unreliable to order, raise, decrow, grow out to crowing age, get paid, ship and keep track of all the specific details concerning the birds. But just check back periodically and watch for videos. I have several breeds, just haven't seen them crowing yet. Thanks all.

Dr. James

Back
Top Bottom