Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
So this is an update on the Rooster we bought from Dr. James. Rajesh is fitting in quite well. I moved the coop and pen to the end of the yard so they can get more weeds and bugs. Well unfortunately we are having a feral cat problem that animal control has been helping with and thanks goodness. But still I think Rajesh is on high alert. Well yesterday I came home and unloaded the truck with two fifty pound bags of food and oyster shells well I injured myself running that morning so was I'm bubbling down the hill and down the stairs pass the silkies and babies, to the shed where I must have put Rajesh on high alert because he couldn't see me coming so he must have rounded up the girls into the coop, well I walked around to the front of the pen and he came out the coop to see what was up and when it was just me he relaxed and called the girls back out and so I gave everyone treats! What a good boy! He's a good worker not crazy friendly but I'd rather he not trust every human and just protect his girls. The pen is working well though I'm building them a big wooden run with better fencing to keep them protected. (Especially after my neighbor admitted to letting her cat run loose and asked us not to send it the shelter if we trap it, and tried to appease us with chicken mags) Also Rajesh and my barred rock are actually on better terms I'm not sure they have mated yet but it's clear she stopped picking on him so much. This is a true blessing from Dr. James! And we are very thankful for Rajesh playing a key role in our small flock.

I will post video of him when he's a bit more comfortable around me and I can catch a good decrowed crow.
Rajesh, the mute roo!!!!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif

Yup he also was a bit shy at first and a goof with the ladies. But now he's the man.

Well... that just proves he's sensitive to the ladies' needs. Sounds like my Dred, which is why I went to such extreme trouble to see that we could retain his services-- he's a jewel.

Off topic-- I wanted to say that our cats are terrified of the chickens, even our alpha male who weighs close to 20 pounds. Are you sure that feral cats are threatening your chickens? I don't mean to deny, I guess I just would like to know how you know. There are far fewer feral cats here than there were following Katrina, and our cats and the neighbors' keep the ferals away from our yards, but I would like to know if they really could potentially be a threat to adult chickens.

--Victoria

In general cats don't always bother chickens it seems 50/50. But around here it's a problem, when I lived on my parents farm their barn cats were just insane pack Hunters and took down chickens, larger birds, and tried our 25lb dog. I hated cleaning up the messes then I had to save the foot with the band on it so we could call it in. And I gave up their back to free ranging again. But I still have the run build and done, gonna let my dogs in on that half of the yard again seems to keep things away. Plus in my second coop I got silkies aka easy prey! Of my three house cats two won't bother much, but one will try on anything she never goes out.

I had a BIG feral tom cat that slept with my hens. He never bothered them and they didn't seem to mind his visits. He stopped coming around when I got Daryl from Dr. James. Daryl takes it personal when furry visitors come by.

In general cats don't always bother chickens it seems 50/50. But around here it's a problem, when I lived on my parents farm their barn cats were just insane pack Hunters and took down chickens, larger birds, and tried our 25lb dog. I hated cleaning up the messes then I had to save the foot with the band on it so we could call it in. And I gave up their back to free ranging again. But I still have the run build and done, gonna let my dogs in on that half of the yard again seems to keep things away. Plus in my second coop I got silkies aka easy prey! Of my three house cats two won't bother much, but one will try on anything she never goes out.

Ah, ok, I understand. Well, I don't mean to hijack our thread here. Definitely, having a good rooster helps. Our first rooster, who turned into an aggressive monster, wasn't even a very good watchroo, and was rough with the hens. It's so marvelous to see what a really good rooster can do.

I also want to echo what you said about Dr James being such a blessing.

--Victoria

Yeah Rajesh is a good boy besides land he's been watching that hawk. Funny the young one got on top of our 8ft coop and goes right after her like hey girl that ain't smart. Then last night one of the girls didn't feel like going in and hung out with us for a minute and there comes Rajesh ready to pop a vein meanwhile I already locked the run, so before he lost his mind I put her back in. He's doing right by his girls! The Barred Rock is the only one who he is having some problems with she thinks she runs the show but she has stopped picking on him and they actually forage together. The adventures in chicken land.

Yeah not only is DR James a blessing but he's very gracious and a nice person.

I am a CVT, although at a dog/cat clinic. I remember being devastated growing up when my beloved rooster was taken away because of neighbor complaints. At that time my parents were willing to do that surgery but had.no experienced vets willing to do it in our area. So i say yes. No different than other procedures that keep or pets close to home. I.e. declawing a cat

I am a CVT, although at a dog/cat clinic. I remember being devastated growing up when my beloved rooster was taken away because of neighbor complaints. At that time my parents were willing to do that surgery but had.no experienced vets willing to do it in our area. So i say yes. No different than other procedures that keep or pets close to home. I.e. declawing a cat

Ouch, I feel your pain-- thankfully ours was prevented by Dr James. Well.... I actually hate to see the comparison of this procedure with declawing cats, because that surgery leaves lasting scars and dysfunctions and I don't believe this procedure does. The rooster is not prevented from doing all his normal biological activities, including seducing and mating hens, looking out and alerting for danger, finding and alerting to food sources, etc. A declawed cat no longer has a primary self-defense method (both fending off others and climbing to get away), and some vets say that declawed cats are in chronic pain and biologically impaired because of the role the claws play in the life cycle of the cat.

My argument is that the rooster is not biologically or behaviorally impaired, has not lost self-defense mechanisms, and is definitely not in any pain once healed.

Yes i know what you mean. But i meant it in the sense that, if declawing a cat allows the owners to keep their cat than it is worth it I'm my opinion. Same with the roosters, if this elective procedure allows them to keep their pet, than its worth it. Not an actual comparison of invasiveness of the procedures.

Back
Top Bottom