Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I own a campground and keep EE's, I would dearly love a rooster that didn't crow! However the cost is a bit high- the Roo really would just be a beloved pet and even though my dogs have health insurance, I'm not sure I could ever talk my husband into a 200.00 Roo- or even a 250.00 surgery on a Roo that I had fallen in love with.

It's fine if people want to pay that much to be able to keep their pet roo:). It's not a choice I have to make as I live in the sticks. I'm actually glad Dr. James is offering this as an option. I honestly believe there should always be a roo in every flock. They serve an important purpose and if shtf (yes I'm one of them lol) you can perpetuate your flock to feed your family. Urban rules against Roos are stupid anyway. They certainly are less annoying than barking dogs. I know because some days I consider shooting my dogs myself lol. Even four Roos all night long have nothing on them
1f609.png

your not the only prepper around----
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

I own a campground and keep EE's, I would dearly love a rooster that didn't crow! However the cost is a bit high- the Roo really would just be a beloved pet and even though my dogs have health insurance, I'm not sure I could ever talk my husband into a 200.00 Roo- or even a 250.00 surgery on a Roo that I had fallen in love with.

I put a couple of bucks away every chance I got and we were able to do it. it wasn't easy though lol.

Despur...not despite

I just trim their spurs with a hacksaw. The make a special jig to stick the spur through to steady it. You can also use dog nail trimmers or a dremmel. When you use a saw cut about half way through, about 1/2 inch past where you want the spur to be cut. It'll cause the blood vessels to constrict. So it won't bleed near as much when you make your second cut and go all the way through.

I use the bone cutter on a pair of kitchen shears. Then I just take off the sharp end maybe 1/2 inch. Funny part is only 3 need it regularly and they are hens not roos.

I don't have any ROOS at this time...I have two small children...I would have one if it didn't crow or have spurs...I have read that you can bake a big pirate in the oven for an hour...cut it in half...wrap his legs...put half on each spur then twist and snap the spur off

Back
Top Bottom