Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
The top hen pulled a few out not all. I didnt get her as chick she was 6months and picked on pretty bad at the farm and decided to move in the silkie pen, so when i went to get my silkies here was this big barred rock hen the guy looked at us and said shes for sale too. So ever since we got her she's been top hen of everyone and she was picking on the roo to prove her dominence. Luckily it was only 3 feathers before they came to an understanding. Still not sure if there is any mating between those two but they at least are civil and rule the roost together sorta lol

Hey all,

I have finally published the website I've been working on. It's not complete, and when I get my camera back from the shop I'll be adding some videos and pics. Also, I'd like for those that I have done business with to look it over and leave some feedback and pics/videos etc. If anybody finds any typos or comes up with some ideas, feel free to pass them along to me. Just check it out and tell me what you think www.quietrooster.wordpress.com

Also, I have a young black minorca that is post surgery and started crowing. He's pretty quiet if anybody's interested. Hopefully I can get some videos soon.

Thanks

Dr. James

Hi I was wondering if you had any game roosters that you have de-crowed and are willing to sale . I am from CA but i would like to purchase one of your birds. Please email me at [email protected]

De-crowing is cruel and against the law in many places. Many vets will refuse to do such a procedure. De-barking a dog is also cruel and again illegal most places. Cropping dogs ears is banned in several places and is becoming unacceptable. It amazes me what people will do to animals and nature for their personal fulfillment.

Let a rooster crow as a rooster or don't own one.
old.gif

Last edited:
De-crowing is cruel and against the law in many places. Many vets will refuse to do such a procedure. De-barking a dog is also cruel and again illegal most places. Cropping dogs ears is banned in several places and is becoming unacceptable. It amazes me what people will do to animals and nature for their personal fulfillment.

Let a rooster crow as a rooster or don't own one.
old.gif

4 the Birds, respectfully, this procedure which you refer to is not taught at any vet schools that I am aware of. Vets don't perform this procedure because most do not practice medicine on poultry let alone know how to do this procedure.

The alternative to performing a surgical procedure that turns the volume down on a roosters crow is to kill the rooster. What would you want to do if you were the rooster--have a surgery or be killed?

Castrating dogs and cats is seen as good and lobbied for by humane organizations yet it is a surgical procedure that makes the animal a better pet. Just like this one performed on roosters. No complaints about that one that has potentially life saving benefits to the pet, yet this one that guarantees a life saved is vilified. I am having trouble following the logic. Since you say there are many, I would also appreciate it if you could name a municipality that has made de-crowing a rooster against the law.

Please reconsider your philosophy and weigh the benefits to the rooster (life) and the ability to stay with an owner that cares for it, with the downside to the rooster (surgery and a few days recovery) against the alternative which is to be re-homed which most likely is death and being served at the dinner table.

4 the Birds, respectfully, this procedure which you refer to is not taught at any vet schools that I am aware of. Vets don't perform this procedure because most do not practice medicine on poultry let alone know how to do this procedure.

The alternative to performing a surgical procedure that turns the volume down on a roosters crow is to kill the rooster. What would you want to do if you were the rooster--have a surgery or be killed?

Castrating dogs and cats is seen as good and lobbied for by humane organizations yet it is a surgical procedure that makes the animal a better pet. Just like this one performed on roosters. No complaints about that one that has potentially life saving benefits to the pet, yet this one that guarantees a life saved is vilified. I am having trouble following the logic. Since you say there are many, I would also appreciate it if you could name a municipality that has made de-crowing a rooster against the law.

Please reconsider your philosophy and weigh the benefits to the rooster (life) and the ability to stay with an owner that cares for it, with the downside to the rooster (surgery and a few days recovery) against the alternative which is to be re-homed which most likely is death and being served at the dinner table.

Agreed and only two vets in the country preform this procedure. And the rooster can still crow just less air is passing through the srynx which lowers the volume. Please refer to the website for more info. And as stated before this is not for everyone. We need to focus more on where our food comes not the steps we take to make piece with our neighbors. What is cruel is where your resturant and supermarket foods come from!

Back
Top Bottom