Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Hey all,
Here is a pic of a rooster that is very quiet that I have for sale. Very quiet when he crows, I'll try and catch a video sometime. Not sure on the breed, (any help, thinking white orpington??) but he came from Murray Mcmurray this past spring.

I also have a few seramas, some so quiet that they could be kept inside. Also, have a few young Welsummers that are ready to go. Don't hesitate with the questions. Be sure to check out the website http://www.quietroosters.wordpress.com
Thanks all.

Dr. James

Hey all, Not sure on the breed, (any help, thinking white orpington??) but he came from Murray Mcmurray this past spring.

Dr. James
He is quite handsome. I suspect he is a Red Star (red sexlinked) cockerel. I think I am seeing very faint barring on his hackles from the Delaware hen and any RSL roo are commonly a very pale golden/straw on the hackles and saddle, body white (silver), with red leakage on the wings. Just a guess mind you...

Last edited:
I saw one of the young EE crow and he isn't as quiet as I like. The one in the pics has not ever attempted to crow, to my knowledge, but is pretty quiet with the cackles.

dtred, that description fits pretty well. If I would have known he was a cross when he was young I wouldn't have done the surgery on him. But he is definitely is a good, quiet rooster. Thanks.

Dr. James

I saw one of the young EE crow and he isn't as quiet as I like. The one in the pics has not ever attempted to crow, to my knowledge, but is pretty quiet with the cackles.

dtred, that description fits pretty well. If I would have known he was a cross when he was young I wouldn't have done the surgery on him. But he is definitely is a good, quiet rooster. Thanks.

Dr. James

I wouldn't right off a sexlink roo! I have a Faverolles X Brahma/RSL roo and he is awesome (he would be more awesome if he didn't crow so loudly!). I gave some eggs from him crossed with my Welsummer hen to a lady and she was so impressed with the chicks she asked if she could get more eggs from me and insisted on paying for them.

So not good if you are showing, but could be an outstanding rooster if you want a good barnyard mix that will lay like crazy and has hybrid vigor.

I agree it's definitely a amber sex link cockerel, he actually looks like one of my girls and that's why I thought she was a rooster but clearly she is not. I agree with dredt they're definitely not for show but in general they're extremely hardy Hardy breed. And they can make a great dual-purpose bird they get really heavy and meaty for their size. From experience they're great all-around chicken hybrid and do well in all climate. I have found out they are not good winter layers therefore once the daylight is shorten they will need supplemental light if you want eggs during winter.

Well here is Daryls first baby. Splash bantam x barred rock.

This is Daryl, I received him from Dr. James last summer.

Well here is Daryls first baby. Splash bantam x barred rock.

This is Daryl, I received him from Dr. James last summer.

Was it a standard barred Rock? I figure he'd be too short for that. This dispels the assumption that these roosters can't do the normal rooster "duties". I've been raising chicks out of an OE bantam for almost 2 years now. Thanks for the update.

Dr. James

P.S. I'm going to offer the sex link mentioned above at a discount since he isn't a pure bred. Just contact me if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom