Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I have not read this whole thread, but I would like to comment on the costs. 250 Is about average for having a cat or dog spayed or neutered. That is by far not a specialty or complicated procedure, most of the cost is attributed to anesthesia and testing to be sure the animal is fit for surgery.
My dog had bladder stones and the cheapest place around charged over 300 dollars. I believe that 250 in the vet world is a modest amount to ask for a specialized surgery such as this, but would definitely be more able to pay for it if it were less expensive.
I guess it goes the same for with other exotic pets, if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet.

The pet market is huge so I think people will go for it. You should present this idea to some of the surrounding city centers/councils to see if you can get the ones who only allow hens to allow decrowed rooster too.

I 've been in the veterinary industry for 23 years I'm a nurse I work with small animal practice doctors and no one was willing to do the surgery finally I found a surgeon who is willing to try it who only did it 25 years ago ....but I would agree if you cant afford the vet you should not have pets.

I think decrowing a rooster is awesome! I have two roosters I do not want to part with so I am decrowing them this next week. Yes it is pricey but the roosters will live about 8 years. I look at it as an 8 year investment that is worth it.

Awesome let me know the outcome im doing mine tuesday ..extremely nervous.........where are you having this done might I ask?

1. I think that it is a horrible thing to do. Yeah I get it. Some people need it but if you live in a suburban area with a rooster you should know the consequences!!!!
2. Another way of looking at it is
The fact that it is a great idea! I am inboard with the whole thing but only if the rooster is NOT AT ANY TIME IN ANY SORT OF PAIN. It is not worth the suffering.
3. A completely different way if looking at it is this. How would you feel if one day you were forcefully put to sleep and when you wake up you can only whisper. For the rest of your life! Never talk or yell again! EVER! This is how the rooster would feel. Yeah some people don't think they have human feelings but they are still living breathing creature!!!
4. I am going to stop my rant now as it is midnight. I'm kinda embarrased now...

I think I would rather "de-crow" the neighbors. Seriously, if flock owners feel compelled to have this done to insure their ability to maintain their flock, it is their call. I am new to this and do not have any roosters so I am no expert.

65-85 is what we pay for spaying and neutering where I am.mi guess it would be worth the cost of de-crowing if it came down to the choice of having it done or losing the flock.

Fourteenchicks, what if you went to sleep and woke up and you could never have children ever again? Or you woke up and your BALLS were missing? Imagine if that happened to your husband, wife, daughter, son... This is what we do to dogs, cats and even rabbits every day. It is strongly encouraged by most groups including the biggest animal rights groups that you do this to your animals and if you don't then you are a bad pet owner!

Luckily we know through many cases where animals have had to have limbs or other things amputated or surgeries to remove organs, etc, that they do not express mourning over the loss of a typical function... Which is why spay/neuter is considered OK.
There is no months of sadness and sorrow that humans experience when they wake up and suddenly find that they have lost a part of themselves. They simply wake up and are happy to be experiencing life. Most dogs will not even notice the limb is missing except to have to find a new way to move. They work to find a way around the disability rather than mourn it. Similarly dogs when debarked will continue to bark, and may try even harder, because the goal is to make sound... But they're not mourning the loss of the voice, they are just trying to make sound still, much like a dog who has 3 legs will try to walk still. Why people think determination to succeed is mourning I am not sure, but it isn't. Animals are not quitters and they live in the moment, enjoying life for what it is.

I think with the testimonies of the people here, we know that the goal of these roosters crowing is simply the act of crowing... Not to produce a loud sound. The people on here have said that the roosters proceed to act totally normal and do not become obsessed with trying to make sound like some dogs do so that points to this being the case... Especially since not a single rooster yet has become neurotically obsessed with crowing. Even if the odds were low you'd think we would have seen ONE by now. So it is the act of crowing, not the volume of the crow that is satisfying. That makes sense since chickens have very little brain anyhow and a rooster that has a naturally quieter voice will still crow the same amount as a chicken with a loud voice.

I have some kinda pricey chicks growing out right now and I suspect 2/3 are roosters... I am strongly considering having one of them decrowed so I can have a rooster in my flock. If I have the money for it I will contact Dr Dave to have this procedure done. As someone who keeps chickens because of a concern for the welfare of the animals that provide me food, I feel like this is a totally acceptable procedure when taking the welfare of the animal into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom