Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Hi all,
I received an EE roo from Dr James this morning. He is perfect and started scratching around as soon as I unboxed him.I haven't heard him crow yet but his cackles are pretty quiet.

ok that's right We will eventually get another once I get enough females It's been slow for me right now but I wish this for those who really need it.

I finally heard Whitey crow. It was very quiet. I was afraid it might have real volume since he can still chirp/cackle( my first roo can't) but it was subdued.I actually thought it was Daryl until I saw him do it. Very pleased with the results.

Sounds great -good for you!

I got a decrowed Americana a few months ago and we are very happy. He sounds a bit like a quiet pheasant calling. This procedure is well worth it.

Dr. James, when I lived in AZ Dr B decrowed my little serama rooster, Wally. It was pricey but I was glad I had it done. There were no complications and Wally could still say er er instead of er er er er ER!! He was a special pet and keeping him meant a lot to me. He fathered some half serama half silkie little hens that were wonderful too. It was interesting to read your posts because I have moved to WA state and live in town so I cannot have a roo. I have been wondering if there is a local vet that can do the surgery. I don't have a special rooster yet so I haven't started my research project. Dr B is a really great guy and I trusted him completely.

Eburger... I think something we've found is there are many people who ask for a local vet to do the procedure and then they do not have good results. :| If you read back through the thread it seems that everyone who tried to have their local guy do it came back and said either their bird died or it didn't work. It's a simple concept with a low price here making people think it's easy... But in reality it's a procedure that is very complicated and specialized. I don't know anyone in the whole city of Cleveland who will even OPERATE on an avian unless the bird would die otherwise.

It'd kind of be like asking your human doctor to operate on your dog. They wouldn't even know where to begin with anesthesia, let alone how to operate properly even for something simple and forget about medication after. You think it's all "about" the same in every animal but having studied the anatomy and physiology of several species it's really not. Like in rabbits the colon is right up against the spine, in chickens there are several extra organs, etc. Ducks will die from most chicken medications, and many common harmless cat meds are deadly to rabbits, etc. It's all so different... You might have some luck if you can find someone who is already preforming operations on chickens. That would be your best bet if you wanna go local.

I really hope that someday Dr James travels to teach other vets this procedure and perhaps markets the specialized tools for it so that other vets can preform the operation without the stress of shipping. It would be awesome.

I am glad that the vet that taught Dr James the procedure did my Wally. I would never have had it done if the expert wasn't right there locally.

Back
Top Bottom