Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I knew I was taking a huge risk with the surgery but I wanted a chance for a rooster that was supposed to be a pullet...and my favorite too. He was very upfront about possible deaths during or after surgery and I was willing to take that risk. So far, my rooster seems completely normal and it has been 8 weeks. The girl who referred me said it didn't work for 3 of her roosters...the crowing came back after 3 months even after the redo. Cross my fingers he remains the same. Sorry about yours.

I had our rooster done by this vet and I found him to be a caring, kind person. He gave care advice for the immediate aftermath, which we followed to the letter, and also suggested that I keep the rooster confined such that he couldn't stretch out his neck in order to allow the changes to heal in place without crowing. He suggested 3 weeks, we did it for 2 weeks, kept him indoors in a crate. We also did the aftercare instructions very carefully. Our rooster healed up beautifully. His voice did return eventually, but it was always WAY softer than it had been and our neighbors were able to live with it. This vet has always said that the voice can come back, so I don't view it as a "FAILURE" but just, the risk is that the voice isn't gone completely. That was always known. Also if someone doesn't take care of the rooster medically afterward, the risk of dying is real.

So the person who posted who said they had 13 roosters either fail or die, well... there's no telling whether those roosters got proper care afterward, and if you didn't do the crating/isolation the risk of the voice returning is even higher, but the risk of some return is always there.

I remain very happy with our experience.

Me too. He told me exactly the same thing. My rooster is happy and his crowing is currently inaudible. I'm just happy he's still part of my 7 hen's life and mine! It's just that, a risk and he's totally upfront about it. I know he cares because he showed me his baby chicks when I came to pick up my rooster at the office!

Last edited:
Yes, he truly cares. The whole reason he started offering this option, and did the research and training to be able to, is because he really particularly likes chickens and believes they are a great benefit to families in many ways, so wanted more people to be able to have them (and be able to be self-sustaining). They are a benefit to families not only because of eggs and potentially meat, but because so many children now have absolutely no idea where food comes from and lack contact with the natural world. And in turn, there is a significant farmer shortage that will only get more pronounced.

I'm in that position of having a sweet roo that was supposed to be a pullet that is my daughter's pet. I'm looking into the surgery to dramatically reduce crowing noise. Anyone know of a vet in Western Washington?

I looked for a home where he'd be happy, can't find anyone to take him. Even looked at humane stewpot type solutions, but they flaked on me and no-showed, there's just so many free roosters. I think 2 of my CL add responses have been from people interested in cockfighting which is absolutely unacceptable.

We've tried a velcro collar and it's sort of reducing the decibels but nowhere near enough, and if I tighten it any more he might suffocate.

That 90% sexing accuracy rate is a joke. More like 65% EVERY TIME.

I'm in that position of having a sweet roo that was supposed to be a pullet that is my daughter's pet. I'm looking into the surgery to dramatically reduce crowing noise. Anyone know of a vet in Western Washington?

I looked for a home where he'd be happy, can't find anyone to take him. Even looked at humane stewpot type solutions, but they flaked on me and no-showed, there's just so many free roosters. I think 2 of my CL add responses have been from people interested in cockfighting which is absolutely unacceptable. 

We've tried a velcro collar and it's sort of reducing the decibels but nowhere near enough, and if I tighten it any more he might suffocate. 

That 90% sexing accuracy rate is a joke. More like 65% EVERY TIME.

There are some good rooster rescue places around. I would check on local Facebook groups also. :)

Dr. James i would absolutely have this procedure done for my gentleman!!! I believe this would benefit all tiny homesteaders especially someone like me who lives in Denver Colorado and has strict rules! I have recently acquired 4 birds all different stories and breeds the bottom line is buying 4 girls and getting 3boys and 1 girl! Lol now the situation has come up about what to do with our flock......I also agree that a Rooster helps with many things in the flock, protection for the hens (my girl is VERY protected lol) fertil eggs for a small breeding project (mine is to help recover endangered chickens) and yes esthetics is always improved with a flashy Roo!! I do hope the decrowing catches on!! I don't find it to harmful or unnecessary or mean....no meaner than say docking a puppy tail...it's a procedure that should be promoted in my opinion.
I would love to get involved in some way... just let me know if i can help. Also if you are ever in Denver doing something chicken related i would love to join! Thank you for you post!! I'm looking forward to seeing what the future has in store for all of us chicken folk!
1f413.png

I think it's wonderful! Many places do not allow roosters and they can be such wonderful pets. I would really like to find out if they offer this in my area -we have roosters and need to find them a good home because they are too loud for the neighborhood. It's very sad.

Back
Top Bottom