Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Hello people of the chicken world! Im Dr. James Richards, a vet in eastern OK. I have been working on a surgical procedure to help with the crowing that offends some people (neighbors). I believe there is a growing need to allow people to keep their roosters, when otherwise they would be killed because of noise. There is an increasing number of the backyard flocks now being raised in more urban settings. I understand that people have a special bond with their birds and removing an animal from your flock can be a hard thing to do. Also, a rooster is needed if you intend on hatching some chicks out of your birds (obviously
wink.png
) Personally, I really like the attitude and aesthetics they bring to a flock.

I was taught this procedure from a very experienced vet in AZ. I think that I have really tuned the procedure and seems to be very effective. I dont have any objective numbers yet, I don't have the right software to measure before and after noise levels. (any advice from the computer folks would be appreciated)

It is a thoracic surgery to modify the voice box of the bird. The birds are put under anesthesia and the procedure is performed in a sterile manner, just like any other surgery on your pet. But, just like any surgical procedure, there are risks. It does not stop the crowing behavior, but really decreases volume. I don't believe this ends up causing pain, since the roosters still posture, pop their wings and crow but much quiter. They really recover quickly and get back to being normal roosters just a few hours after the procedure, mating hens, eating etc.

Anyway, I may be offering this procedure at the clinic and am trying to get a feel for the demand for decrowed roosters. I may also offer pre-decrowed birds that I raise, but this will be in the future.

I know that there will be people out there that disagree with this concept. I feel that an elective surgery to save the animals life is not always a bad thing.

So please give me your input, good or bad on the subject of rooster decrowing.

Thanks heaps.

Dr. James

p.s. Here is a youtube link of a silver duckwing rooster 10 days post surgery.
how can I find you

Thanks. I should be swinging through your part of the country later this week for a conference in OKC. I have modified the procedure and actually constructed very specific instruments. So far with my current method, havent lost any and they seem to be doing great with little crow left. Actually done 2 earlier today, time will tell.
how do I contact dr James or someone that dose this?seems there are two im on west coast but will drive pet to save rare pet roo.

Hello people of the chicken world! Im Dr. James Richards, a vet in eastern OK. I have been working on a surgical procedure to help with the crowing that offends some people (neighbors). I believe there is a growing need to allow people to keep their roosters, when otherwise they would be killed because of noise. There is an increasing number of the backyard flocks now being raised in more urban settings. I understand that people have a special bond with their birds and removing an animal from your flock can be a hard thing to do. Also, a rooster is needed if you intend on hatching some chicks out of your birds (obviously
wink.png

I was taught this procedure from a very experienced vet in AZ. I think that I have really tuned the procedure and seems to be very effective. I dont have any objective numbers yet, I don't have the right software to measure before and after noise levels. (any advice from the computer folks would be appreciated)

It is a thoracic surgery to modify the voice box of the bird. The birds are put under anesthesia and the procedure is performed in a sterile manner, just like any other surgery on your pet. But, just like any surgical procedure, there are risks. It does not stop the crowing behavior, but really decreases volume. I don't believe this ends up causing pain, since the roosters still posture, pop their wings and crow but much quiter. They really recover quickly and get back to being normal roosters just a few hours after the procedure, mating hens, eating etc.

Anyway, I may be offering this procedure at the clinic and am trying to get a feel for the demand for decrowed roosters. I may also offer pre-decrowed birds that I raise, but this will be in the future.

I know that there will be people out there that disagree with this concept. I feel that an elective surgery to save the animals life is not always a bad thing.

Thanks heaps.

Dr. James

How can I get in touch with you?
I'm going interested in having this done asap but I'm in Nebraska.

wink.png

Thanks heaps.

Dr. James

im trying to find dr James or anyone that dose de crowing.

wink.png

Thanks heaps.

Dr. James

keep it up

I had looked into this a few years or so back. My understanding is that this procedure did not work very well, mostly do to birds expiring during anesthesia. It seems it is hard to properly knock out a bird for surgery, and do to the nature of this surgery the bird needs to be placed completely under.

wink.png

Thanks heaps.

Dr. James

I'm currently looking for a veterinarian to decrow my 1 year old rooster. Just discovered there is a noise ordinance in my city that prohibits rooster ownership, and someone has lodged a complaint, although Barnabus, my roo, never crows in the early morning hours and only crows when there is something that alarms him and to alert the hens to run and hide from eminent danger. I've considered rehoming him, but he is very territorial and sometimes launches sneak attacks against me - hence, his behavior would not be tolerated by most folks, and would be subjected to cruelty and death. I love Barnabus, and he is really attached to the hens and vice-versa so I tolerate his behavior. I think what you are doing is absolutely wonderful and provides a merciful alternative in place of a death sentence.

Back
Top Bottom