Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
I suspect you will be able to get interest among parties with means to pay for service / birds so treated. The crowing in my opinion provides the rooster no advanages in the urban setting where noise ordinances are in place to if proceedure can be done with minimal risk then OK. Could audios be presented on youtube demonstrating before and after proceedure? Also how are other vocalizations affected?

I suspect you will be able to get interest among parties with means to pay for service / birds so treated. The crowing in my opinion provides the rooster no advanages in the urban setting where noise ordinances are in place to if proceedure can be done with minimal risk then OK. Could audios be presented on youtube demonstrating before and after proceedure? Also how are other vocalizations affected?

GREAT idea, I would love to hear/see the before-after.

I dont have any befores yet, but I did record an after of my Silver Leghorn rooster and he is almost completly crow-free. I've never used Youtube, how hard is it to link it on here? This is meant to be a salvage procedure, for owners that don't have any other options. An often overlooked solution to the problem is to just go knock on doors and see if the neighbors actually have a problem with roos. A suprising amount of the time, they seem to like 'em.

I realize this isn't for all situations. I prefer my birds to crow, but I'm not in a situation where I'd have to choose. Personally, I would do if I had to. One thing I've learned in veterinary medicine is to never underestimate the value of a pet.

Youtube is easy to load up to and to create links to. Camcorder can be used to make recordings. If I can do it any one can.

See my example. Search within www.youtube.com for FlyingChicken1000. Several videos have a fare amount of sound which was intent of some recordings involving flight.

Or go to following link.

Do i have to make a new email so I can upload something to Youtube??? It says it doesn't recognize my school email which is now part of Google. I hate computers.

I would pay to have my rooster decrowed if it was a pet and I was getting complaints from the neighbors. I don't see anything wrong with this at all and is a way to save a roosters life.

One thing I've learned in veterinary medicine is to never underestimate the value of a pet.

Translation: never underestimate the ridiculous amount of money people will spend on an animal.

I'm trying so hard to be respectful...I understand that everyone has to make a living and that you've put a lot of effort into satisfying what very well may be a niche market for rich idiots. But, oh my, no, just, NO! This is weird science and designer pets and...everything that makes me crazy.

I don't know if this is an accurate statistic at all, probably just an urban myth, but it sums up my response to your request for opinions relating to this designer pet surgery, "If we took the money Americans spend on their pets each year we could end childhood hunger."

So long as there are hungry children in our country, so long as there are parents who cannot feed their children, there are better uses for an extra $250 than de-crowing a rooster.

So please give me your input, good or bad on the subject of rooster decrowing.
Interesting question. I think the demand for this would depend on the demographics of where you work. People might really go for this in affluent, suburban towns around here (Mass.) where they aren't allowed to keep a rooster due to the noise, and where the backyard chicken craze continues to gather momentum. As for the humaneness of the procedure, one could argue that it enables more people to breed their own birds, reducing dependence on factory farm food, which itself would be a noble accomplishment in terms of humane treatment of livestock.

I live in CA and I wouldn't want to fork over $200 per rooster -- but I could see you getting a lot more business if it was $99 bucks a pop. Just an idea- I know it costs a lot to work on animals. What **REALLY** needs to be developed here is a Mute-Rooster breed that people like a lot. There's the million dollar idea. ;) Good luck. If you offer the service, some people will probably pay. It is very needed.

Back
Top Bottom