Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Oh I would have to say that is cruel. You don't need a rooster to raise chickens. Roosters are used for meat anyway. EVERYONE knows Roos make noise. Some are louder than others. Most "urban farmers" don't have more than a few chickens and a small fenced area for the birds and there is no need for a rooster anyway. It amazes me that folks want to enjoy some things from the "country" but want to take the "country" out of it.

DISAPPROVE of maiming animals for ones selfish convenience.

I live in the burbs and we can't have roosters due to noise in our locale. I have always heard that rooster noises help alert hens in the flock and provide them with information about food and protection from predators. If that is true, then it is more than quieting them down is more that just hushing up an early morning alarm clock and may not be good for the roo or flock.

any ideas about that from those who are experienced with roos in their flocks?

I live in the burbs and we can't have roosters due to noise in our locale. I have always heard that rooster noises help alert hens in the flock and provide them with information about food and protection from predators. If that is true, then it is more than quieting them down is more that just hushing up an early morning alarm clock and may not be good for the roo or flock.

any ideas about that from those who are experienced with roos in their flocks?
That is true, but the hens also do the same thing. Post surgery, the roosters still have the cackles and such, just much quieter. But the crow is essentially non-existant.

Dr. James

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Seems price is an issue, what cost would you guys suggest? Again its not a procedure that just anybody (qualified vet) can or will do. Or for just any old rooster but for those with a high emotional or economic value. Also, I don't believe there is much of a market in OK. Mainly the suburbs elsewhere in the country is my thought. Since gas is so cheap, I assume most birds would be shipped in. Shipping, box, health papers and a pullorum test would all add to the cost before getting it here also.
Thanks heaps.

Dr. James

The price isn't about lack of value, at least as I see it. The value you offer is worth the cost you quoted, like you say most vets won't even treat chickens and to find one skilled in this procedure very unlikely. It would be a stretch for my budget for sure, and is something I would consider even at that price point for the RIGHT rooster.

My festus is just over a year old. In all his life he has never so much as raised a hackle at any person at all. He is a beautiful red EE who carries the blue egg gene though he is a little small. Since I am hatching eggs (the best reason to have a roo) for layers and meat I wish he were a little bigger but he has produced some very pretty chicks.

The problem with this is that you just don't know what your roos temperment is going to be like untill they are mature. You will have to endure a year of crowing before you know if he is worth the investment. Otherwise you might end up with a $250 Roo who is attacking your kids every time they go outside and is starting to look like he would make great soup.

Since gas is so cheap, I assume most birds would be shipped in. Shipping, box, health papers and a pullorum test would all add to the cost before getting it here also.
Thanks heaps.

Dr. James
Now shipping the bird is something I would not do. To me that could be more traumatic than the actual procedure. Shipping baby chicks is different in my view, because it's more like the normal situation of being snuggled together under a hen. But I would think shipping would be extremely frightening and confusing for an adult. Maybe others see it differently, but it seems like that introduces a whole new level of motivation and desire for this procedure, further reducing the number of people who would go for it.

Last edited:
Now shipping the bird is something I would not do. To me that could be more traumatic than the actual procedure. Shipping baby chicks is different in my view, because it's more like the normal situation of being snuggled together under a hen. But I would think shipping would be extremely frightening and confusing for an adult. Maybe others see it differently, but it seems like that introduces a whole new level of motivation and desire for this procedure, further reducing the number of people who would go for it.
I agree entirely.

I think it's a Great Idea, but I don't think many would be willing to pay that much for the procedure..(Not to say your time and know how is not worth it)... It's just alot to pay for a Chicken that would make Great Chicken and Dumplins for ALOT cheaper.. If the procedure could be done for $50-$75, I bet you could get many that just might think about having this done to there Roos..

I agree... Shipping a full grown bird seems like a recipie for disaster in MY opinion. That is assuming that you could even find a carrier that 'would' ship a full grown and live bird... Good luck trying to get insurance for THAT shipment/package... If the bird died on the return shipment the owner would be out a TON of money very quickly.

Hell, I would LOVE to take my dogs with me when I travel overseas but I know darn well that them riding in the cargo hold would FREAK them the heck out. (they are too big to ride in a carrier WITH me as per airline rules)

As for the people that think this may be 'cruel'... Give me a freakin break! How is this any worse than me deciding to eat the darn bird! Drives me nuts when those sort of people try to stick their noses in there and tell me what I can and can't do with MY animals. They are MY property thank you very much... If you don't like it move to europe or something - You should fit right in there with those people (people that gave up their 'rights' long ago). Most of these people that cry and whine the most about debarking dogs, tail cropping, and ear docking have NO FREAKIN PROBLEM if an owner wants to have their dog spayed or neutered... Most of the time they actually suggest that owners spay/neuter... How in the heck is trimming an ear or debarking a dog 'cruel' but it is 'ok' to cut their nuts off???
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom