Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
I've never shipped a bird, but I do have friends that do it all of the time. Illegally I might add because they dont have pullorum tests or health papers, but thats beside the point. From what I understand you need special USPS approved box, with Neg test and health papers for across state lines. They ship next day and are at the post office waiting to be picked up. So, if they can get it shipped in less time then would be possible to drive it somewhere, it makes sense to me. Weather is an important component too. It seems that they would just chill out and sleep since its a dark box. But I have never received or shipped an adult. I will soon be shipping one of my AGB bb reds to a vet friend in NC, so I will keep ya'll posted on that process. Just waiting on my tester to get some antigen. Thanks everybody for the feedback.

Dr. James

I understand what you're saying, Dr. J., but it just seems like an awful lot to go through to get that procedure. I'm not sure I would ever have it done anyway, but would be more likely to, if it was a nearby vet I could actually meet. Package up and send off a bird to be cut up by some vet I've never even met? I can't imagine any circumstances under which I would do that to any animal. I'd rather drive it, even if it takes longer. At least I have some control and will set eyes on the vet.

If I was in an area that would only allow a decrowed roo then I would have a decrowed roo. My girls are happier with a roo in the flock. I say this because there are not as many fights, not as many squables over food, and just more harmony. He keeps the young guys in check and he woos his girls and he woos me lol. Today he showed me the yummy cricket nest he found. Then he was upset that I refused to eat the one he dropped at my feet,

I hang out on the "what breed or gender is this" board a lot. I think there are quite a few folks there who would fork it over. They've raised this darling from a cute day old chick and by the time they can tell it's a rooster they and their kids are sooo attached and of course it's always "the friendliest of the flock" and "our favorite bird of all". Folks fork over that much for dogs and cats at the vet all the time. I could see there being quite a market. I just don't know if there would be enough folks in one area. I'd say hold travelling clinics, see the country and de-crow roosters in urban/suburban areas coast to coast!

I don't see anyone paying for a pre-done bird, though. Anyone breeding that seriously is going to be able to keep roos anyway. Your market will be for precious pets, not breeding stock.

I'm torn, so I haven't voted.

I have a little boy that I completely adore (and he adores me, else there'd be no issue), but the neighbours already complain about the noise of the wild pheasants, so no chance of keeping a crowing cockerel at home. The thing is, he 'talks' to me. He'll jump onto my lap, cock his head up at me, look me straight in the eye and make soft 'doodoodoo' noises. You should also hear him chatting to his girlfriend; it is the sweetest thing in the world. There was this one time, he was tanning himself on my lap outside, while she was in the stable/coop. She gave a funny sort of squawk and he leapt off my lap like he'd been shot, ran down to the stable door and was pacing up and down, quite stressed because it was shut. It reminded me of a husband in the pub "Whoops, the wife just called, I'd better get home!"
Sorry, I digress. It would be heartbreaking if he could no longer talk. For me to resort to decrowing, it would have to be as a very last resort, one where even finding him a good home (even if not with me) wasn't possible.

I try to put my animals' needs before mine. What would be most traumatic: being de-crowed or living without me?

For me to resort to decrowing, it would have to be as a very last resort, one where even finding him a good home (even if not with me) wasn't possible.

I try to put my animals' needs before mine. What would be most traumatic: being de-crowed or living without me?
This is pretty much how I think. We don't know because we cannot speak chicken, but I would imagine that a decrowed rooster experiences some frustration, just as a debarked dog does (IMO). Many people who really love their pets would see decrowing as too traumatic, and adding shipping to that makes it even more traumatic. And as someone else said, serious breeders generally already live where they can keep crowing roosters.

I hate to put it this way, but I kind of see this shipping for surgery as something for the affluent suburbanites who have to have whatever they want, whatever their money can buy: the most beautiful purebred dogs and cats...and the showiest roosters, even if that means a potentially frightening, frustrating, and/or painful experience for the animal. I'm sure there would some exceptions - I'm just saying where I think your biggest market would be.

Last edited:
I'd say hold travelling clinics, see the country and de-crow roosters in urban/suburban areas coast to coast!

That would be great if it weren't for the legal issues, I like traveling and could set up a surgery trailer pretty easily. I can't practice in a state that I'm not licensed, so it not really an option. Also, I'm not comfortable with the idea or having several birds accumulated in an area from different sources, just not good for disease control. One good thing about doing it here would be the ability to stagger the birds coming in so they wouldn't be exposed to others. I would love to make a living working on non-commercial poultry, but it's not really possible. Driving them to the clinic would be the best way of doing it, but I'd prefer the bird stay a couple of days post surgery before being moved. That'd mean hotel stays for the owners during this rest period on top of the travel time which would probably be frustrating. (its not like there is much to see in Eastern Ok, wouldnt make a very good vacation.) Thanks everybody.

Dr. James

P.S. the birds that I have done are still doing great. I may try the procedure on guineas this week. I was told it would work on pea cocks too.

Oh I beg to differ OK is a great vacation spot, and eastern OK, green country has lakes and rivers to boat, fish, ski, water raft, many state parks that include hiking and equestrian trails over praries, rocky caves and cliffs, water falls. Two quality zoos (well one technically isn't in green country but close) several awesome botanical gardens, some quality art museums w/ amazing grounds and archetecture, air and space museums, night life in Tulsa especially (if that's your thing) a couple of good theateres (PAC and Vantrease) not to mention the scattering of little theateres in the area that are great in their own right. Native american museums and hands on learning experiences, stomp dance theater and native theater. And if you care to take a couple of hour drive from green country there are sand dunes, salt lake, salt plains w/ active you dig crystal mining, the only walk through gypsum cave in the counrty if not world w/ splunking opportunity, mesa's, hang gliding school w/ a couple of hour course to glide in tandum, or a day or two course to glide alone. Cowboy museum w/ an awesome walk through old west town replica, hands on science museums two that I can think of off the top of my head that is great for kids of all ages. And that is just off the top of my head, our state is an awesome and often overlooked vacation opportunity.

Kassaundra - you have me sold on a vacation to eastern OK.

Dr. J - If you ever want to move to east-central MA, I'm willing to bet you would get a fair amount of business involving noncommercial chickens, if you also see cats, dogs, rabbits, etc. There are just a few vets here who see chickens, and people are increasingly keeping them as pets (chickens, not vets, that is
smile.png
).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom