Deep bedding on concrete is damp

Nothing lasts forever. And yes, the oil based sealants that are really painted coatings tend to do just that, just like water based latex floor paints over oil spots. there are some water based, soak in sealants which don't do that, though they tend to be a bit more expensive - likewise with the penetrating oil stain/sealants . and it means that all the concrete under the sealed layer is still high in moisture...
So basically you just have to choose the lesser of 2 evils.lol
I'm sure they put moisture pads down for home slabs, but I'm betting they didn't do it for a 40 year old barn lol

Hmm

I am wondering if bare concrete is more or less easy to be sanitized than the garage type sealant??

So basically you just have to choose the lesser of 2 evils.lol
I'm sure they put moisture pads down for home slabs, but I'm betting they didn't do it for a 40 year old barn lol

Hmm

I am wondering if bare concrete is more or less easy to be sanitized than the garage type sealant??
We used a food grade sealant over the decking, the glued an screwed down Home Depots White wall vinyl on the flooring and behind the roosting poles (branches that are braced again that wall to all for easy clean up. We also use a AubiChick hemp mixed with potting soil (that has peat moss and coir) mixed together for a deep bedding. We didn't want any slipping and sliding going on, plus both are extremely moisture absorbing too. Our coop is 6'x8' with a sloped roof that is more than 6' tall on the short side of the slope.

Since we also opted to use a programmable pop door (2 actually), we placed a dog kennel pan at the by that door and added a little of the bedding material mentioned above. I added a second one under the roosting bars too this morning to see if I like that too. It only takes me 1 to 2 minutes at most to fluff the bedding material up. No odor and the 10 hens and rooster seem to be very happy with it.

Under the coop we used pig slabs (they have slots across them) for additional protection and ventilation. The coop connects to one heavily reinforced chicken run that is 9'x6'x32' and will be adding a second run in the spring so we can alternated the runs usage.

We used a food grade sealant over the decking, the glued an screwed down Home Depots White wall vinyl on the flooring and behind the roosting poles (branches that are braced again that wall to all for easy clean up. We also use a AubiChick hemp mixed with potting soil (that has peat moss and coir) mixed together for a deep bedding. We didn't want any slipping and sliding going on, plus both are extremely moisture absorbing too. Our coop is 6'x8' with a sloped roof that is more than 6' tall on the short side of the slope.

Since we also opted to use a programmable pop door (2 actually), we placed a dog kennel pan at the by that door and added a little of the bedding material mentioned above. I added a second one under the roosting bars too this morning to see if I like that too. It only takes me 1 to 2 minutes at most to fluff the bedding material up. No odor and the 10 hens and rooster seem to be very happy with it.

Under the coop we used pig slabs (they have slots across them) for additional protection and ventilation. The coop connects to one heavily reinforced chicken run that is 9'x6'x32' and will be adding a second run in the spring so we can alternated the runs usage.
That sounds nice. My situation is much like that of the original poster:
Concrete slab in a barn.
I use this large "coop" as a growing out place for baby chicks. It's fully enclosed, and about 10x15 so quite a big space.
I think I will just settle for barn lime and deep pine shavings.
I think with the amount of moisture coming up from the ground, sealant would be more problematic in the long run.

That sounds nice. My situation is much like that of the original poster:
Concrete slab in a barn.
I use this large "coop" as a growing out place for baby chicks. It's fully enclosed, and about 10x15 so quite a big space.
I think I will just settle for barn lime and deep pine shavings.
I think with the amount of moisture coming up from the ground, sealant would be more problematic in the long run.
Probably so, I use pine shavings and agricultural lime (occasionally) in our chicken run.

Having chickens are a blast! We were apprehensive about having them since we live in the woods in a rural area in Mississippi. But since we built something like "Fort Knox" with the chicken run and the coop, we may be okay with the many predators that are common with that environment.

Probably so, I use pine shavings and agricultural lime (occasionally) in our chicken run.

Having chickens are a blast! We were apprehensive about having them since we live in the woods in a rural area in Mississippi. But since we built something like "Fort Knox" with the chicken run and the coop, we may be okay with the many predators that are common with that environment.
Haha that's awesome! I am glad you built your Fort Knox for them - so worth it!!
It's almost the end of my first year keeping chickens and I went whole hog. It's been fun and I'm really excited for Spring, as I'll be doing as much hatching as I can!
Happy New Year!

Haha that's awesome! I am glad you built your Fort Knox for them - so worth it!!
It's almost the end of my first year keeping chickens and I went whole hog. It's been fun and I'm really excited for Spring, as I'll be doing as much hatching as I can!
Happy New Year!
Is that a profitable thing to do?

Is that a profitable thing to do?
Oh yes!
If you have the time and the space to do it!
Plus I find it exciting (because I'm working on some fun crosses!) and satisfying.
As it stands, I have about 40ish chickens. I sold enough pullets this summer to pay for those plus the chickens I still have. (I bought day old chicks and raised them so people could buy confirmed pullets and not have the hassle of raising chicks.) That was so great and I now have enough adult chickens to hatch my own and sell them. The plan is to wait until I can sex them and they are fully feathered, so they are ready for outside life. They obviously sell for more than a day old chick. So yep, if you've got the space and time, it's so worth it. My goal for 2023 is to pay off all the building materials and equipment I purchased this year.

Oh yes!
If you have the time and the space to do it!
Plus I find it exciting (because I'm working on some fun crosses!) and satisfying.
As it stands, I have about 40ish chickens. I sold enough pullets this summer to pay for those plus the chickens I still have. (I bought day old chicks and raised them so people could buy confirmed pullets and not have the hassle of raising chicks.) That was so great and I now have enough adult chickens to hatch my own and sell them. The plan is to wait until I can sex them and they are fully feathered, so they are ready for outside life. They obviously sell for more than a day old chick. So yep, if you've got the space and time, it's so worth it. My goal for 2023 is to pay off all the building materials and equipment I purchased this year.
Do you sell them locally, or mail them?

Do you sell them locally, or mail them?
So far I just plan to sell them locally. I'd consider mailing, but I would have to see the cost to ship and if it would be worth it.
I'm doing some fantastic (imo!) crosses tho and I'm pretty sure they will sell at a good price.

Back
Top Bottom