Deep litter method and freezing temps

I had never even considered the coop being raised would make a difference... duh.. thank you!!! I'll be looking into these baffles asap!
If you could feel where a chicken was sitting, I'll bet it was warm though. I was thinking you could put insulation over it for the winter, like straw/pellets/chips, but maybe no need to if for now, it's making them a spot to stay warm.

Deep Litter won't compost in a raised coop.
..and the moisture composting requires is not good in a cold climate.
Why wouldn't it compost in a raised coop, assuming the moisture and temperature levels are right?

Being on the ground would give a boost in the organisms that cause composting, but I can't see any way to have a chicken coop that is so free of bacteria that composting will never happen. There will be some in the chicken droppings, some tracked in on their feet, and so forth.

Some litter will have a better set of bacteria for composting than others. I would expect dry leaves (raked off the ground and dumped in the chicken pen) to work better/faster than kiln-dried wood shavings that have been carefully stored so they stay clean.

Why wouldn't it compost in a raised coop, assuming the moisture and temperature levels are right?

Being on the ground would give a boost in the organisms that cause composting, but I can't see any way to have a chicken coop that is so free of bacteria that composting will never happen. There will be some in the chicken droppings, some tracked in on their feet, and so forth.

Some litter will have a better set of bacteria for composting than others. I would expect dry leaves (raked off the ground and dumped in the chicken pen) to work better/faster than kiln-dried wood shavings that have been carefully stored so they stay clean.
I would like to hear more about the why's as well, I plan on doing more outside research because I really love the idea of deep litter but my coop is in fact raised. Just on knee jerk assumptions I would guess maybe it can't stay warm enough with the draft underneath the floor of the coop? I would love more info on it though.

Well, I suppose it could, but would be difficult...and would probably rot the coop floor out.
Hot composting needs to be worked(turned etc) to stay going, and has to have some mass to it(2-3' depth), not a good scenario for inside a coop.
It's just not a very good idea IMO, a bit of a fallacy to keep a coop warm in a harsh winter climate.

Well, I suppose it could, but would be difficult...and would probably rot the coop floor out.
Hot composting needs to be worked(turned etc) to stay going, and has to have some mass to it(2-3' depth), not a good scenario for inside a coop.
It's just not a very good idea IMO, a bit of a fallacy to keep a coop warm in a harsh winter climate.

I agree that it would be bad for the coop floor, and that it would need to be deep enough.

As far as giving off heat-- I agree that it will probably not give off enough heat to matter much, in most situations.

I live in SW neb same blizzard and negative temps this last week. I use deep bedding in my raised coop and block most of wind in soffit vents with some ill fitting silver rolled insulation stuff. Air can go around but no snow. I increase bedding in winter to a deep 8 " thick. My vents are above their heads when on roosts. I have had leghorns comb freeze but no other losses.

Back
Top Bottom