Deep Litter Method with Ducks?

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Hi all,
Getting ready for winter and was wondering if anyone does the deep litter method for their duck house? I’m looking on doing a modified one for 3-4 months (through winter) to get a bit more warmth in the duck’s house. But they produce more moisture than chickens so the ammonia smell can get strong.

Right now we are lightly aerating the existing layers of bedding in the morning, sprinkling First Saturday Lime and adding a layer of bedding (either Pine Flakes or Straw we alternate which one).

In evening we spot clean / removed the more soiled bedding by the corner near their water bucket as that’s the worst.
Ducks get water overnight but no food. But I’m worried it won’t be easy to maintain through winter. (Previously we were spot cleaning daily and deep cleaning monthly)

Any tips for how to do this or other beddings? I’m in zone 6B. Sun goes down at 5:40 pm now :/

they don’t need water in there overnight. my ducks have done fine without overnight water for 8 years now.
sounds like you’re doing the deep litter method right. i do the same as you basically, except iuse sweet PDZ. instead of the saturday lime.
one thing i learned to prevent the ammonia smell , start with a deep base. so there’s almost a foot of clean stuff underneath before the layers of poop, lime (or pdz) and new hay or pine chips . taking out
that water bucket will make a huge difference in the moisture level in there and they need it to be as dry as possible to prevent frostbite .

they don’t need water in there overnight. my ducks have done fine without overnight water for 8 years now.
sounds like you’re doing the deep litter method right. i do the same as you basically, except iuse sweet PDZ. instead of the saturday lime.
one thing i learned to prevent the ammonia smell , start with a deep base. so there’s almost a foot of clean stuff underneath before the layers of poop, lime (or pdz) and new hay or pine chips . taking out
that water bucket will make a huge difference in the moisture level in there and they need it to be as dry as possible to prevent frostbite .
They are in from dusk til dawn (5:40-6:30am) albeit it’s a bit dark still during those times so we turn on some lights on timer. Are they really okay to be without water that long? (12-13 hours?) I just get so nervous

I leave my birds without water overnight, they are totally fine and won’t drink overnight anyways, they will play in it and make a mess first thing in the morning but they do not need it. I’m not sure about that long of a time though, but I would assume it would be the same.

I leave my birds without water overnight, they are totally fine and won’t drink overnight anyways, they will play in it and make a mess first thing in the morning but they do not need it. I’m not sure about that long of a time though, but I would assume it would be the same.
How long is overnight for you? Do you keep them out longer than sundown? We do roughly 5:40pm-6:30 am due to the sun being completely down at 6pm and not quite up yet by 6:30

How long is overnight for you? Do you keep them out longer than sundown? We do roughly 5:40pm-6:30 am due to the sun being completely down at 6pm and not quite up yet by 6:30
I usually wait till after dark, but it can be risky depending on your environment and the predators in your area etc. I usually put them in between 9 or 10pm and then let them out between 6:45-8am ish every morning.

right now my ducks lock up is 6 pm and let out 7:30 am
it gets worse in december and january those are the months with the longest nights .
December 21 sunset here at 4:46 pm and sunrise at 7:23
They have done this without water for 8 years and are fine

Also 6b. I kinda do deep litter by default when it all freezes solid :). I just toss another layer of straw on top, some SweetPDZ, then shavings. Ice ridden straw is much lighter and easier to muck out when there is a thaw. Shavings are heavy, solid ice chunks. I think my depth was under 6", so it may have needed more to start generating heat. Don't forget an accessible in snow disposal spot and sled to haul it.

I've had water in the coop but am trying it outside this year. The food is still inside or else the deer will eat it all. The bird door is automatic with a daylight sensor. I added a light bulb on a timer to keep the door open past dusk to give the birds a chance to enter on their own. Ducks are great about going to bed, but geese like to party so I usually have to shoo them inside when it's dark.

Also 6b. I kinda do deep litter by default when it all freezes solid :). I just toss another layer of straw on top, some SweetPDZ, then shavings. Ice ridden straw is much lighter and easier to muck out when there is a thaw. Shavings are heavy, solid ice chunks. I think my depth was under 6", so it may have needed more to start generating heat. Don't forget an accessible in snow disposal spot and sled to haul it.

I've had water in the coop but am trying it outside this year. The food is still inside or else the deer will eat it all. The bird door is automatic with a daylight sensor. I added a light bulb on a timer to keep the door open past dusk to give the birds a chance to enter on their own. Ducks are great about going to bed, but geese like to party so I usually have to shoo them inside when it's dark.
We’re doing deep litter in the duck house as well! I’m actually doing my final deep clean and reset today for the winter (will be adding a rubber horse stall mat before 8-12” of fresh bedding). Hopefully that will be enough for warmth in the house and I don’t need to add anything to the inside walls. I added a photo of our set up. We’ll be removing the pool next week in favor of multiple “rubber horse food bowls” for water.

Definitely recommend removing water from their house. We did that last week after people recommended it here. They have done great all week without any water in their house from 6pm-6:30am. (They have unlimited during the day in enclosure). It’s cut wayyyy down on moisture and the ammonia smell already, so much dryer in their bedding.

Attachments

• 5914795E-A6EF-4431-B2EA-64828BFA0671.jpeg
    5914795E-A6EF-4431-B2EA-64828BFA0671.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

ducks can choke to death if they have food without water. take the food out of the coop or find a way to seal it up ( i close mine up at night with chinese take out plastic soup containers , they fit perfectly over the openings in my bucket feeders )
no water in coop means no food either. they don’t need either overnight.

Back
Top Bottom