Ducks First Snow and Prep Question

It was about 8 degrees last night. They seemed to be perky and fine this morning which was a relief. Wisely, they are staying in the shelter of the run this morning since it's only 11 degrees and very windy. I started putting flakes of straw down yesterday on the floor of the run (which is otherwise just grass) so they could burrow around and keep their feet warm. Apparently this was a big hit! They seem to enjoy napping on them even more than in their little house.
Mine did well overnight as well, about same temps as you over here! I think I might have to put them up in my garage duck playpen (4 foot high metal dog play pen in a square with a tarp under it) this weekend as Saturday is supposed to be 12 degrees and most likely lower with windchill. They’ll enjoy garage time I think as it’s warmer and I’ll be able to let them play in my bathtub too.
But then it’s warming back up to mid 40s so after that

It was about 8 degrees last night. They seemed to be perky and fine this morning which was a relief. Wisely, they are staying in the shelter of the run this morning since it's only 11 degrees and very windy. I started putting flakes of straw down yesterday on the floor of the run (which is otherwise just grass) so they could burrow around and keep their feet warm. Apparently this was a big hit! They seem to enjoy napping on them even more than in their little house.
Always busy little things. ♥️
We had 5 and mine came pouring out like it was a spring day but once they got out laid down on their feet and legs. Sure looking forward to next week when temps will be much better.

So relieved everyones ducks/chickens are okay this morning.

Always busy little things. ♥️
We had 5 and mine came pouring out like it was a spring day but once they got out laid down on their feet and legs. Sure looking forward to next week when temps will be much better.

So relieved everyones ducks/chickens are okay this morning.
Never thought thirties and forties would sound so good!! I'm sure they'll be eager for pool time again - I won't be filling it until we're warming up so they're doing modified preening by the water bucket.

Mine did well overnight as well, about same temps as you over here! I think I might have to put them up in my garage duck playpen (4 foot high metal dog play pen in a square with a tarp under it) this weekend as Saturday is supposed to be 12 degrees and most likely lower with windchill. They’ll enjoy garage time I think as it’s warmer and I’ll be able to let them play in my bathtub too.
But then it’s warming back up to mid 40s so after that
I thought about moving them to the garage into some sort of modified pen and a covered dog crate for a house, but they seem to be doing well and modulating their own inside/outside time. I'm so torn though, with such brutal weather day after day. I do wish I could let them have their kiddie pool back but not until it warms up a bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 11.04.36 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 11.04.36 AM.png
    430.9 KB · Views: 3
I hardly slept last night worrying mainly about my tiny bantam chickens praying I would find them all okay this morning and they were. I think we forget they are wearing a down jacket under their feathers. What state are you in FNF? we're in Western NC in the mountains. It got to 22 today after 5 this morning, tomorrow 17 it will feel like spring lol

I hardly slept last night worrying mainly about my tiny bantam chickens praying I would find them all okay this morning and they were. I think we forget they are wearing a down jacket under their feathers. What state are you in FNF? we're in Western NC in the mountains. It got to 22 today after 5 this morning, tomorrow 17 it will feel like spring lol
Western VA, in the Shenandoah Valley - very similar weather! Making I through last night is encouraging as they all seem to be handling it just fine, but I’ll be much happier after this weekend.

I ended up being my girls in tonight for the weekend. They are not a fan of their boring garage set up, but plus side is I can let them play in the tub and have “pool time” this weekend and I don’t have to worry about them freezing in it 😃

Attachments

• 35DDC5A4-DABF-4ACA-B9C7-0E3393158435.jpeg
    35DDC5A4-DABF-4ACA-B9C7-0E3393158435.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 3
Awe so cute! Mine are still outside but very much enjoy digging through the straw in the run and then digging in the snow. I broke out a large bowl with warm water yesterday and today since we got above freezing. They at least got to bathe and preen some! No such luck tomorrow though.

Attachments

• IMG_5527.jpeg
    IMG_5527.jpeg
    883.6 KB · Views: 3
We're QUACK, baby! Still snow on the ground but we seem to be past the super cold temperatures (for now!). It's getting above 40 today so the pool is back!

Attachments

• IMG_4027B1D8A5E4-1.jpeg
    IMG_4027B1D8A5E4-1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom