StinkyAcres

Art & Animals
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2017
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I'm new to Muscovies and ducks in general. Is it normal for Muscovy ducks to be shivering due to cold? So far it's been a pretty mild winter here in Vermont (20s°-30s°F highs, lows in the teens) but it looks like my 6-month-old Muscovies are struggling to keep warm. They just sit outside in the open, shivering, beaks tucked under their wings, while getting covered in snow. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this. Some say it's normal for them to shiver, some say it's a problem. Should I be worried? It's supposed to get colder this week and I want to know they'll be okay.

They have a deep heated waterer outside, straw bedding in their coop (it's open during the day but they only go inside at night), I spread hay on the ground outside the coop to keep their feet off the snow, and they are eating 20% protein feed with nutritional yeast.

Muscovies are not a cold weather species. Mine will be headed for the coops/barn much faster than my mallard derived ducks. Most of the time birds will seek out the environment that is comfortable for them. I usually let my birds decide for themselves, but sometimes I leave a coop door shut, or place food and water in a more sheltered are just to make sure during a cold snap. A little shivering is nothing to worry about, but is there away to shut them in their coop until the cold snap is over? That might be a good idea in this case.

Feeding a little extra carbs during very cold weather can elevate the metabolism and core temperature. But watch for signs of hypothermia - walking with a stumbling gait, appearing to be unbalanced, and a sign of medical emergency - collapse. In that case, bring inside for warming and give warm water with electrolytes and extra sugar.

Muscovies are not a cold weather species. Mine will be headed for the coops/barn much faster than my mallard derived ducks. Most of the time birds will seek out the environment that is comfortable for them. I usually let my birds decide for themselves, but sometimes I leave a coop door shut, or place food and water in a more sheltered are just to make sure during a cold snap. A little shivering is nothing to worry about, but is there away to shut them in their coop until the cold snap is over? That might be a good idea in this case.
Thanks, @Yardmom! I am not able to bring the heated water bowl inside their coop so locking them in the coop while keeping them hydrated would be difficult. I thought they were going to be a little tougher than this!

Feeding a little extra carbs during very cold weather can elevate the metabolism and core temperature. But watch for signs of hypothermia - walking with a stumbling gait, appearing to be unbalanced, and a sign of medical emergency - collapse. In that case, bring inside for warming and give warm water with electrolytes and extra sugar.
Thank you @azygous! I will definitely be watching them. Thanks for the emergency instructions. Is whole corn a good source of carbs? Any other foods I can give them to warm them up in case they don't like what I offer them?

Yes offer whole corn along with their reg feed just don't overdo with the corn. My Muscovy are older and just in the last couple of years have they sought out their coop in cold temps. The pop door is open and their food and is right outside the door but they spend most of their time inside. I keep my Muscovy separate from my other ducks becasue my females are 12 yrs old and do not like the Runner drakes so they have their own small run and coop just for them and their drake. If you notice them getting worse make them go inside and just let them out every couple hrs for food and water. Mine can tolerate temps pretty good down into 20's but these just above zero with wind chill below they can't handle so well.

Yes offer whole corn along with their reg feed just don't overdo with the corn. My Muscovy are older and just in the last couple of years have they sought out their coop in cold temps. The pop door is open and their food and is right outside the door but they spend most of their time inside. I keep my Muscovy separate from my other ducks becasue my females are 12 yrs old and do not like the Runner drakes so they have their own small run and coop just for them and their drake. If you notice them getting worse make them go inside and just let them out every couple hrs for food and water. Mine can tolerate temps pretty good down into 20's but these just above zero with wind chill below they can't handle so well.
Thank you again for your help, @Miss Lydia ! It's very hard to get them to go inside when I want them to. They end up running circles around the coop. :rolleyes: Maybe I can place the heated water bowl up on their "porch." That way they can stay inside and still have access to water. What do you think?

Here's their front porch for anyone who hasn't seen it.
D75_9136_00001.jpg

Thank you again for your help, @Miss Lydia ! It's very hard to get them to go inside when I want them to. They end up running circles around the coop. :rolleyes: Maybe I can place the heated water bowl up on their "porch." That way they can stay inside and still have access to water. What do you think?

View attachment 3727241
It's worth trying that way you can keep the mess down inside with the water outside.

Alrighty, tomorrow I'll try putting the water bowl on the porch and I'll get some whole corn from TSC. Thank you all!!

They did end up moving to underneath the coop, porch, and ramp areas and out of the snow this afternoon. I didn't notice any shivering when I closed them in the coop this evening. :thumbsup

View attachment 3727241
One nice thing about having a run even a temporary one mine is a dog x pen they only stay in this over winter then the portal pen goes around their pool so they only have one way in and out. The Muscovy have a large area for spring and summer so the females aren't hunted down by the Runner drakes lol. If you could make a temp pen you could have better control of herding them inside if you need to. Just a thought.

One nice thing about having a run even a temporary one mine is a dog x pen they only stay in this over winter then the portal pen goes around their pool so they only have one way in and out. The Muscovy have a large area for spring and summer so the females aren't hunted down by the Runner drakes lol. If you could make a temp pen you could have better control of herding them inside if you need to. Just a thought.
That is true and I did think of that. Problem is my yard is very sloped which makes it difficult to set up things like fences. I am building a hoop house/greenhouse near their coop and they will likely get to go in there for warmth once it is finished next winter. Wish I got it done last year but too many things got in the way!

Back
Top Bottom