Runner Duck Questions / Are my Ducks Cold?

IrisJade

Chirping
Jul 24, 2023
Can anyone tell me when runner ducks start to get sexually mature from 8 weeks?

Also should i keep my ducks inside their house constantly during winter? its very cold, they seem to always want to be outside and lay outside but im afraid they dont know they are getting like frostbite feet as their feet do get very red if that is frost bite.. They do seem very happy outside even when its very cold. but i keep thinking their freezing. i keep their House open if they wish to go inside but they dont seem bothered

My Runners are outside all day once it is day light. When it is in the 20's and down they will go in some and lay around. I haven't ever seen frost bite on them. My Muscovy have had frost bite on their flesh on their faces but not my Runners or Buffs. I think it is a good idea to let them decide unless there is a snow storm and they might get completely covered and you have to dig them out lol
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/poultry-101/why-dont-ducks-feet-freeze/ make sure when temps are below freezing they cannot get stuck in water and it freezes around them, that can be potential for frost bite. Many years ago a memeber had a duck frozen in a bowl of water over night last we heard he had lost a foot.

Back
Top Bottom