Muscovy ducks shivering in cold

I like the way the one on their web page is set up I don't know how high off the floor it is I bet if you contacted them they would be happy to help. I forgot to put my 10.00 off code in and contacted them the next day and they went ahead a refunded me the 10 very nice folks to work with. Let me kn ow what they say.
https://www.sweeterheater.com/side-mount-model it says 6-20" above the ones your wanting to warm
I got a response in 3 minutes! 😲 Here's the owner, Holly's, reply:

"Yes, you can definitely plug it into a thermostat. I would think 18-20 inches above them would be sufficient. If they act cold, just lower it a bit or vice versa."

I got a response in 3 minutes! 😲 Here's the owner, Holly's, reply:

"Yes, you can definitely plug it into a thermostat. I would think 18-20 inches above them would be sufficient. If they act cold, just lower it a bit or vice versa."
Isn't too wonderful to do business with folks like Holly.

I just got mine from UPS.

Hi 👋🏻 I just felt like I need to give input here on corn. Most all young fowl I've raised,(turkeys, muscovies, pigeons, chickens, ducks, geese, peafowl, guineas & silver pheasants(quail not included here)) don't take to whole corn(even wet) right away. I have always had to build them up to it by offering cracked corn first then slowly mixing it in as I see they start eating the whole kernals. Unless feeding popcorn, corn grains seem to them too big and hard to swallow. Don't feedpopcorn though, it has sharp points and scratches their throats. I also feed my waterfowl their grain in water😁. Sorry for such a long novel.

Hi 👋🏻 I just felt like I need to give input here on corn. Most all young fowl I've raised,(turkeys, muscovies, pigeons, chickens, ducks, geese, peafowl, guineas & silver pheasants(quail not included here)) don't take to whole corn(even wet) right away. I have always had to build them up to it by offering cracked corn first then slowly mixing it in as I see they start eating the whole kernals. Unless feeding popcorn, corn grains seem to them too big and hard to swallow. Don't feedpopcorn though, it has sharp points and scratches their throats. I also feed my waterfowl their grain in water😁. Sorry for such a long novel.
Hey, thanks! That's good to know! No need to apologize!

The weather has been cooperative this week and I've been able to make mid-winter modifications to my duck coop without freezing my fingers off. Heater is installed and ready for the cold-er weather next week!

I'm new to Muscovies and ducks in general. Is it normal for Muscovy ducks to be shivering due to cold? So far it's been a pretty mild winter here in Vermont (20s°-30s°F highs, lows in the teens) but it looks like my 6-month-old Muscovies are struggling to keep warm. They just sit outside in the open, shivering, beaks tucked under their wings, while getting covered in snow. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this. Some say it's normal for them to shiver, some say it's a problem. Should I be worried? It's supposed to get colder this week and I want to know they'll be okay.

They have a deep heated waterer outside, straw bedding in their coop (it's open during the day but they only go inside at night), I spread hay on the ground outside the coop to keep their feet off the snow, and they are eating 20% protein feed with nutritional yeast.
Thank you for trying so much! Just keep the hay piled up and put food, they will remember where it is, I make up a bowl of warm half cooked rice with oatmeal, cracked corn, a few (can be frozen ones,) peas(they love peas) if yo have liquid vitamins add some and mix up, once they start eating they will love it, and it will bulk up the body for more strength and heat! although your duck is young, their body temp is about 105 under those feather covered in waxy oil to make them waterproof, so it is as if they are wearing a wind breaker, good luck!!

Thank you for trying so much! Just keep the hay piled up and put food, they will remember where it is, I make up a bowl of warm half cooked rice with oatmeal, cracked corn, a few (can be frozen ones,) peas(they love peas) if yo have liquid vitamins add some and mix up, once they start eating they will love it, and it will bulk up the body for more strength and heat! although your duck is young, their body temp is about 105 under those feather covered in waxy oil to make them waterproof, so it is as if they are wearing a wind breaker, good luck!!
Thank you! I might try the warm oatmeal on the colder days. I did end up buying a heater for their coop but they continue to shiver outside even though it's not that cold. Maybe I'm worrying too much....my mom seems to think I am. They look and feel healthy otherwise.

A couple of my ducks have learned to eat whole dried corn! And all of them will eat sunflower seeds now. They just needed some time and training. But the weather here continues to be mild so they aren't needing the extra treats and heat as much. I had a great time hanging out with them today and taking their pictures. :love

A couple of my ducks have learned to eat whole dried corn! And all of them will eat sunflower seeds now. They just needed some time and training. But the weather here continues to be mild so they aren't needing the extra treats and heat as much. I had a great time hanging out with them today and taking their pictures. :love

Such a gorgeous face too :love

Back
Top Bottom