Wet feather after broken leg.

FalaschiFlock

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2023
We have a female blue runner that was attacked by a raccoon. She suffered a broken leg. We kept her inside for a month while she healed away from the other ducks. Once she was moving around again, we would bring her outside to be social with the other ducks during the day and bring her back inside at night. Last week she didn’t want to go inside she ran into the duck house with the others so we’re left her outside with them.
She did well and was happy to be with her family again. Today it snowed for the first time. All the ducks appeared to repel the snow just fine. The injured blue runner was soaked after an hour.
Part of her therapy/ recovery included swimming in our bath tub. I assumed she would have had lots of opportunity to oil her feathers. What do I do now. I’m afraid she will freeze. It’s cold here in Wisconsin.

I would bring her inside and warm her up until she is completely dry and then bring her back out. My chickens are heading into the coop single file - we are expecting a foot of snow or more and I am a bit concerned for my ducks as well for the same reason - its there first winter.

We have a female blue runner that was attacked by a raccoon. She suffered a broken leg. We kept her inside for a month while she healed away from the other ducks. Once she was moving around again, we would bring her outside to be social with the other ducks during the day and bring her back inside at night. Last week she didn’t want to go inside she ran into the duck house with the others so we’re left her outside with them.
She did well and was happy to be with her family again. Today it snowed for the first time. All the ducks appeared to repel the snow just fine. The injured blue runner was soaked after an hour.
Part of her therapy/ recovery included swimming in our bath tub. I assumed she would have had lots of opportunity to oil her feathers. What do I do now. I’m afraid she will freeze. It’s cold here in Wisconsin.
oh no poor baby. don’t let her freeze bring her in but bring a friend too maybe so she’s not alone. take a close look at her oil gland. scroll down to read about oil glands : http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue71.htm

Back
Top Bottom