Deep Litter Method in Raised Coop Question

Fieldsfive

Chirping
Mar 26, 2021
Pacific NW
Hello. I have a burning question about the deep litter method, and I have been researching on BYC and many other sources but this particular topic is not showing up. I started using the Deep Litter Method for my flock of 4 (was 5, until we realized we had a cockerel) in a 4'×8' raised coop with a plywood floor. It's been about 4 weeks since they moved into the coop. I use pine shavings and it's about 6 inches deep. HOWEVER, I just inferred a key piece of info from some deep reading. It seems that everyone who loves this method assumes you have an earthen floor that produces moisture. My coop has no moisture, so can it work in a raised coop? If so, how? I ask because right now our litter doesn't smell at all but it is dusty if you turn it over with a shovel and I think that is bad for their health, yes? Please help!

Deep Litter is a moist, actively composting system that is indeed best done on an earth floor. If you were to get such a system going on a plywood floor it would compost the plywood as well as the bedding. :eek:

What you probably have going on is Deep Bedding. This is my article about Deep Bedding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

If your coop is well ventilated dust is not likely to be a health hazard. A great deal of the dust in a chicken coop comes from the chickens themselves in the form of feather dander.

Deep Litter is a moist, actively composting system that is indeed best done on an earth floor. If you were to get such a system going on a plywood floor it would compost the plywood as well as the bedding. :eek:

What you probably have going on is Deep Bedding. This is my article about Deep Bedding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

If your coop is well ventilated dust is not likely to be a health hazard. A great deal of the dust in a chicken coop comes from the chickens themselves in the form of feather dander.
Thank you, so much! I just found your article which is incredibly rich with the info I need. I will read it carefully and I think I will have my answers. Hooray!

Back
Top Bottom