Deep Litter Method.....

Quote:
Could someone explain all the these intails for me. Being an ex computer person I understand the anacronyms that deal computers but not for livestock.

Farmer Mack
cool.png

Okay, I've read through the entire thread about the DLM. Sounds like a great thing to do for the winter months. I saw only 1 message about the use of straw/hay. Now, I use straw...on the floors and in the nest boxes. If you don't use straw on the floors, what do you use in the nest boxes? Can you use wood shavings? Can you any type of wood shavings or must it be a particular type? This week has gotten really cold and I really stuffed a lot of straw in the nest boxes and on the floor...it was amazing to see the difference in the warmth in their hen house. I'd really appreicate someone answering the question about using wood shavings in the nest boxes...if it works, I'll switch over for the winter months. Thanks.

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE volunteer to write up a great page on the Deep Litter Method!?

Feel free to gather information from this thread and other DLM threads. Hopefully we can get some people to take pictures of their DLM setup and add them to the page.

Anybody up for doing this?

Quote:
I use pine shavings on the floor and hay in the nest boxes, some people also use Aspen wood shavings. You can use wood shavings in the nest boxes also. When our girls first started laying, our 3 EE ladies would lay theirs on the floor in the shavings. They "got with the program" and finally followed the Mottled Cochins' lead to lay them in the nest boxes provided for them.

Edited to add pic of DLM in playhouse coop...

Click on thumbnail for bigger pic.

Dawn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom