Deep litter method

Have a wood floor and cant see adding moisture without creating rot/bug problems.

Unless you've done something to create a moisture barrier on that floor, deep litter is probably not the best solution for you. Anywhere you have deep litter and a manure pack, you will eventually have some moisture. Bugs and rot are exactly what DL is going for..that's the whole goal.

Have a wood floor and cant see adding moisture without creating rot/bug problems.

I have a wood floor, too. It's covered with a tarp to protect it and the deep litter sits on the tarp. The litter is more dry than moist and sometimes too dry. What little moisture is introduced via leaves, dirt, or a spray of water is quickly soaked up by the litter.

As far as bugs, haven't had any issues. I'm trying to introduce those little critters that live in dirt and eat leaves and other organic matter to facilitate the deep litter and that seems to have worked. Any other bugs I'm guessing have become chicken snacks as I've not seen them.

Well I cant call mine DL I don't guess. Most is going out to a compost pile and just a lot of dry savings on the floor.

I was trying DL for the first time this fall. I have a wood floor w/ glass board over the wood. But I'm afraid to put down too much water and get it too wet. I started with pine shavings and was adding leaves.

It didn't smell. But the hens were eating the leaves and one now has an impacted crop so I cleaned it out yesterday.

I was disappointed to see that it really didn't break down at all. I just have a pile of leaves, shavings and droppings. I spread it into the raised planter beds and turned it into the ground and I'm hoping that is ready for spring planting come March/April.

It's nice not having to clean out the coop every week. But I'm disappointed that it didn't break down more. Maybe I could spray it with water and give that a try.

Or if I have to clean out my coop every four months, I can live w/ that. I should also add that I only have three hens so I'm not dealing w/ a great volume of droppings.

Well, having the poop board under my roost, I literally scoop 99% of droppings with 3-4 swiped of a dust pan. They can go out into a compost pile and do their thing there.

Had the same pine shavings in the floor of my coop for over 8 months now, turn weekly,... Now composting, but stays relatively clean with little trouble...which is what I am after!

Ebal - it sounds like I'm doing about what you have. I had sand, added 6" or so of pine shavings, I stir them maybe 1x a week if that, the chickens poop a lot on the shavings though. It doesn't smell at all in the coop. I think I'm getting some moisture because we've had rain, almost flooded my coop! I think I'm doing as I had read and it seems good. I guess it's fine unless I see some kind of problem? Like smell? Not sure. It sure is easy and I love it!

Back
Top Bottom