Deep litter method

Hello! I'm new to this thread, I just got my chickens back in October and I was trying to do the deep litter method but this morning I opened the coop and it was so smelly I had to clean it. This was the first day it smelled and it was more of a rotten smell, nothing close to an ammonia smell. I was using pine shavings and stirring it every day. I had about 6 inches built up and it never smelled until today. I think what happened is it got too wet because we have been getting a lot of rain. I'm thinking I'll make changes to my coop to keep out the water and try again. I have a 3'x4' coop with 4 LF living in there that free range. The floor of the coop is a plastic flooring abd I was wondering if this was making it so my litter wasn't able to compost properly

I think if you don't stir it up and just let the girls do a little on top it is better. The exception is right under the roost. The poo is suppose to not be seen as the chickens have a deep enough base that the regular scratching is enough to cover it quickly. When you run out of a good covering then add more shavings and leaves. You may want to add some good dirt too. Also, leaves and other natural amendments help. The goal is a forest floor type look to the deep litter.

It does need to be kept pretty dry. That could definitely be a moldy wet mess if it gets too wet. Ventilation is key also to take the smells out and encourage fresh air replacement. The plastic floor is alright, but adding dirt will help bring some composting bacteria that benefits the process.
Good luck with it all.

I think if you don't stir it up and just let the girls do a little on top it is better. The exception is right under the roost. The poo is suppose to not be seen as the chickens have a deep enough base that the regular scratching is enough to cover it quickly. When you run out of a good covering then add more shavings and leaves. You may want to add some good dirt too. Also, leaves and other natural amendments help. The goal is a forest floor type look to the deep litter.

It does need to be kept pretty dry. That could definitely be a moldy wet mess if it gets too wet. Ventilation is key also to take the smells out and encourage fresh air replacement. The plastic floor is alright, but adding dirt will help bring some composting bacteria that benefits the process.
Good luck with it all.
thank you for the info! Ill try adding dirt next time. I was adding hay and leaves but I think there was just too much poop under the roost. Also the wood covering my nesting box seems to not be completely water proof and at the seam water was coming in during heavy rain so I have to fix that also. Thanks again!

My coop is for large fowl, I'm not sure about everyone else. My coop is on the smaller side but my girls only go in there to eat and sleep and they spend most of the time outside or in the goat shed. Good luck building your coop! That's the best way to go, build it yourself. Have fun with your chickens!

I have a question to those of you using the DLM. When you clean out your coop in the spring or when ever you clean it, do you need to put the litter in a compost pile for a while or can you put it directly into your garden?

I just put it in the garden and rototill it up. Most of the DL and poop has broken down. I didn't see any burned plants last year from moving it from coop to veggie garden. Of course my garden is like 30x60 so my DL in my 8x8 hoop coop doesn't go far in the garden. Lol

I can tell you I had giant sunflowers and potato plants last year tho, :)

I just put it in the garden and rototill it up. Most of the DL and poop has broken down. I didn't see any burned plants last year from moving it from coop to veggie garden. Of course my garden is like 30x60 so my DL in my 8x8 hoop coop doesn't go far in the garden. Lol

I can tell you I had giant sunflowers and potato plants last year tho,
smile.png
oh that's soooooooooooooo encouraging! My poor garden really NEEDS some TLC. lol

It seems to me like deep litter would work best on a dirt floor, since it can all just break down nicely. I have seen people worry about rodents digging in though. Would a good solution be to line the floor with chicken wire or hardware cloth, so the dirt is still involved but rodents can't dig in to the coop?

Rodents really don't need to dig to get into a coop, so I wouldn't bother. Most rodents are fair game to chickens for dietary protein and the bigger ones would come in anyway, deep litter or not so if rodents are a big problem where you live, deep litter will not be part or source of the problem. A good cat or the chickens take care of any around this place.

Back
Top Bottom