Deep litter method

I started reading this thread and was 20 pages in over several days when my browser crashed and I lost my place. Boo! But a wealth of information. A few things i didnt find while reading:

We just moved 10 ducks into their coop. I put down what was 6" of pine shavings and some pellets,but their darn big feet have smushed it to maybe 3". I am turning it and fluffing it, but is the 6" fluffy or mushed? I know ducks have a different set of issues and aren't going to turn it like chickens.

Also, I was going to add some ashes from the woodstove. I know the purpose it serves for chickens, is it purposeful and safe for ducks?

Last, there are flies in there during the day...obviously they like poop, and we know what they do. Is this normal, or even as issue, or will the quackers take care of any maggot activity at night?

Thanks!

There's no set depth to deep litter as it's not the depth of the litter that makes the system work but the nature of it. Depth helps to keep the moisture in the bottom layers, so deeper litter helps preserve the composting action that should be going on, but usually one adds more bedding as needed when it's too moist or when the litter has composted down so far it needs more material to absorb moisture. When using all shavings, it takes a long, long time for composting to occur and ducks have some seriously wet poops, so you might run into trouble with maintaining a really good deep litter unless you vary your bedding materials a little.

Wood ashes won't hurt a bit and can help absorb some moisture.

It helps to avoid flies if you just lightly cover feces each day or every other day in the coop. Just take bedding from a dry place and throw it on a wet place...that's how I do it. No need to stir or disturb the bedding too much to do that...just a light flip of the bedding. DL does better if it's NOT stirred too often, IME.

I'm a believer! We moved our chicks into their coop Easter weekend. We use pine shavings. We turn them over when we think about it. Usually a couple times a week. Throw some new shavings over the top as needed. It really doesn't smell bad. It smells like pine shavings and kind of earthy. Not unpleasant at all. I was raised on a farm. I know what barns that house animals can smell like. I was visiting a friend this weekend and she invited me out to meet her girls. Her coop is large. Its a converted shed. She uses straw and cleans it out copletely once a week. Her birds have more than enough room. But no windows for ventilation. It smelled like a barn. I personally don't mind it since I grew up farming but even my husband noticed how clean ours smells!

I guess what I learned was that neither way is wrong but ours is less work and smells better:) Thats a WIN in my book!

Yes, that's the big win! No smell, no flies, no hard work, better microbial life, healthier chickens. You might want to suggest to your friend that her chickens will be healthier, as will she, if she opens up that shed to a lot of fresh air....cleaning out all that feces and straw can cause some serious problems for her if the place is not well ventilated. Histoplasmosis is not to be sneezed at, pardon the pun.

Yes, that's the big win!  No smell, no flies, no hard work, better microbial life, healthier chickens.   You might want to suggest to your friend that her chickens will be healthier, as will she, if she opens up that shed to a lot of fresh air....cleaning out all that feces and straw can cause some serious problems for her if the place is not well ventilated.  Histoplasmosis is not to be sneezed at, pardon the pun. 
[/quote]

I agree completely. I plan to invite her over to my place very soon. Let her meet my girls and check out a working deep litter. Also let her see how happy and healthy the girls are with big open windows and ventilation. My dad and my cousin are both victims of hystoplasmosis. I've seen first hand how it can change your life. Neither of them even raised chickens. Its kind of common in our area it seems.

If I understand correctly, the deep litter method is for the coop. What can I use in the run that gets muddy and stinky?
Welocme to BYC
frow.gif

I use mulch and ground up trees from a tree service that chips them up. Works great and no smell.

If I understand correctly, the deep litter method is for the coop. What can I use in the run that gets muddy and stinky?
We use sand in our pens. We don't have "coops" per se. Living in SOCAL, we have open pens with part of it either covered with a plywood roof or tarp, where the roosts are. We have found that sand keeps the smell down and using a horse rake with 1/4" hardware cloth zip-tied on it acts as a very good "litter box scoop."

Thank you so much for replying to my question. We had TONS of rain in the South this year.
where in the south?

I'm in NW GA, deep litter is absolutely the best method, danged if I want to be scooping and raking a sand area the size of my run when I can just throw in more wood chips, grass clippings, leaves, etc etc and let the chickens do the work and keep it turned. Absolutely no odor, no flies and not much work.

the picture on the top right of the page is my run, the last big pile of chips I put in a couple of months ago. I do need to add some more. I'll suggest go back and read through the thread from the beginning, the lady at the top of page 177, beekissed, did a wonderful video how to do it and how it works. Not sure if she's linked the video but it's in this thread, I highly suggest watching it. For the life of me, I just can't understand why anyone would watch that video and NOT do DLM. I have sand and sweet pdz in my poop tray, I scoop and sift it twice a week. I just can't imagine anyone wanting to do that on the size of a whole run, not if they built the run an adequate size for their chickens....just more work than really has to be done

where in the south?

I'm in NW GA, deep litter is absolutely the best method, danged if I want to be scooping and raking a sand area the size of my run when I can just throw in more wood chips, grass clippings, leaves, etc etc and let the chickens do the work and keep it turned. Absolutely no odor, no flies and not much work.

the picture on the top right of the page is my run, the last big pile of chips I put in a couple of months ago. I do need to add some more. I'll suggest go back and read through the thread from the beginning, the lady at the top of page 177, beekissed, did a wonderful video how to do it and how it works. Not sure if she's linked the video but it's in this thread, I highly suggest watching it. For the life of me, I just can't understand why anyone would watch that video and NOT do DLM. I have sand and sweet pdz in my poop tray, I scoop and sift it twice a week. I just can't imagine anyone wanting to do that on the size of a whole run, not if they built the run an adequate size for their chickens....just more work than really has to be done
I totally agree,
When I first started with chickens I thought sand sounded like a good idea.....until I tried it. It did not work for me at all.

Let nature do the work for you....my coop and run smell like you are walking thru a forest. Just keep adding in the natural elements like grass clippings, mulch, wood chips, weeds, ash, pine shavings, or whatever you have on hand and let it turn into great compost. Just think of all the micro-organism's and bugs the chickens have access to. You will never get that with sand. JMHO

Back
Top Bottom