Deep litter method

Our coop is about 8x12 and I believe we start out with two paper bags of shavings and all the paper shreds we have. I also like to add hay or straw because it smells so nice. Really you can add almost anything you have on hand. In the fall we add shredded leaves as long as they are dry. In the summer when hay is plentiful you can usually get last years batch from the farmer for almost nothing. As long as it is dry and not moldy the chickens will love to pick through it. Good luck,

Chris

Help! I'm just starting to establish a routine for my chickens in their new coop.....My coop is on top of river rock. I have spread sand in the run on top of the river rock (floor), inside the coop, I have also put sand on the poop board, pine shavings in the nesting boxes. If I chose to do the deep litter method instead of sand, would I then need to dig up all the river rock and start with a dirt floor? Also with the deep litter method, since you aren't scooping the poop out daily, will the chickens eat their own poop??

Help! I'm just starting to establish a routine for my chickens in their new coop.....My coop is on top of river rock. I have spread sand in the run on top of the river rock (floor), inside the coop, I have also put sand on the poop board, pine shavings in the nesting boxes. If I chose to do the deep litter method instead of sand, would I then need to dig up all the river rock and start with a dirt floor? Also with the deep litter method, since you aren't scooping the poop out daily, will the chickens eat their own poop??

Here is what I would do. I would add some compost or failing that, topsoil on top of the sand, at least an inch, maybe two. Then I would add all the deep litter stuff. The chickens should mix it up and as long as there isn't too much sand, it should all just mix in via "chicken labor". And no, they won't eat their own poop (much). It disintegrates if the mix is right. I mean dirt floor is better, but I think you will have an option here to just build up. My two cents.

If your sand is very deep, might be another story. I assume your coop floor is on the ground.

I was wondering if someone could please post the correct ratio for Food Grade DE to chicken Grain?
Am I correct that some of you are not only feeding it to the birds directly but also sprinkling it onto the shavings from time to time?
Thank You,
I have used this method not knowing it was a method for years.wouldn,t feed de to poulty,they get plentyfrom what you sprinkle on bedding.doing this once a month or is plenty.as far as cleaning out bedding,leave as long as a year,by keep adding as needed.also I use straw with anything other than small fowl.they love to tear up a layer of fresh straw

Right I am not sure I see the point of adding DE to grains for chickens. Some folks use DE on the deep litter. Most don't as it can kill the exact beneficial microbes you are trying to encourage. That is to say, DE is not necessary for deep litter and might actually keep it from composting properly.

Update: We decided to take out the rotting floor and do deep litter on the dirt below. But judging by how little this bag of saw dust covered, I'd be spending a fortune to get this thing covered in 6". I know you can use leaves, which I can do in the fall... But can I use grass clippings? (I know grass clippings make animals like horses sick). Also don't judge my white washing too hardly, it was my first time trying that too.

Attachments

• 1495982762024-2026869671.jpg
    1495982762024-2026869671.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 29
The more of a mix of different items the better. As long as the clippings aren't too wet or clumpy, the chickens will love spreading them out. Works in my climate. I had a major wind recently bring down many small pine cones and duff, and those will be raked and added to the mix as well (helps to aerate). Yard trimmings definitely go in (think end of year iris leaves and so on). Last year I added a rotten stump and the chickens tore it apart and it inoculated the deep litter with beneficial microbes. It is all good. Wish i had your leaves! Those are the best...

And congratulations on the whitewashing! That is what I do too! Love love love that. Didn't even have to touch it up after a year at spring cleanout this spring!

Back
Top Bottom