Deep Litter Method

Laken21

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 15, 2013
So I am confused about where to use the deep litter method, is it the coop or in the run? Our run is 4'x20' and has a four inch layer of pea gravel for drainage purpose- I was planning on using straw for the run but ppl say it wont break down fast enough and can harbor mites- I cannot image using pine shaving in the run?!?? I live in Portland OR and fighting the rain is a big prob- we covered the entire run with clear roofing panels. Some guidance would be much appreciated.

Pine shavings in the coop for deep litter. Sand, gravel, soil as suits in the run.

Turn the shavings every few days to keep the poop dry and avoid problems with odor. Add to them from time to time, shovel out into the compost heap every six months.

The run will take care of itself by the chickens scratching around all the time, turning the soil or sand or gravel over burying the poop so it will decompose. I prefer sand in the run rather than larger stones, but to each his own.

Chris

I guess I chose the pea gravel because I thought I would be putting something over the top of it such as straw. I also chose the pea gravel because of drainage. If I put straw over the top would that be a bad idea, in terms of chicken health and having to clean in out?

Pine shavings in the coop for deep litter. Sand, gravel, soil as suits in the run.

Turn the shavings every few days to keep the poop dry and avoid problems with odor. Add to them from time to time, shovel out into the compost heap every six months.

The run will take care of itself by the chickens scratching around all the time, turning the soil or sand or gravel over burying the poop so it will decompose. I prefer sand in the run rather than larger stones, but to each his own.

Chris
I guess I chose the pea gravel because I thought I would be putting something over the top of it such as straw. I also chose the pea gravel because of drainage. If I put straw over the top would that be a bad idea, in terms of chicken health and having to clean in out?

Why don't you put sand over your pea gravel in the run? Chickens love to play in sand. I certainly wouldn't put bedding out there, it will get soaked and gross and be extra difficult to clean because of the gravel underneath.

Deep litter uses shavings, and is something you do in your coop, not your run.

Last edited:
I am doing DLM in the coop. In the run, I have a layer of pea gravel topped off with big chunky tree bark mulch.
I rake the mulch every other day or after a good rain. They love to find worms under there.
I also have a large planter for dust bathing. :) Hope this helps. I am finding as a first time flock keeper that it is a trial and error thing, but always do what works for you and your bockers. :)

in the coop, add a new layer of shavings once a month unless it starts looking bad and packed down, i throw a little wheat or cracked corn in mine every day and let the chickens do the work of keeping it mixed up.....sofar no smell and looks good..it has to stay dry or this wont work.

Last edited:
In the wooden-floor coops, I use pine shavings; in the bigger, dirt-floor coop and the runs there's a built up layer of soil and sand, covered by pine shavings, bark, straw, hay, grass clippings -- pretty much any carbonaceous material that's available.

The trick is for the ground level of the run to be a little higher than the surrounding ground to facilitate drainage. Even though I live in a fairly swampy area, the runs stay dry enough, and dry quickly even after a heavy rain. The organic material in the runs ends up being a lot like what you see on the forest floor -- which the chickens thrive on.

In the wooden-floor coops, I use pine shavings; in the bigger, dirt-floor coop and the runs there's a built up layer of soil and sand, covered by pine shavings, bark, straw, hay, grass clippings -- pretty much any carbonaceous material that's available.

The trick is for the ground level of the run to be a little higher than the surrounding ground to facilitate drainage. Even though I live in a fairly swampy area, the runs stay dry enough, and dry quickly even after a heavy rain. The organic material in the runs ends up being a lot like what you see on the forest floor -- which the chickens thrive on.
I realize this is an old thread, but after reading this thread I'm not sure what method I'm using! I was hoping someone might still get a notification...

I have a 2 level coop (6' x 6') made from an existing playhouse with a wooden top floor and 6" of pea gravel on the bottom. I've been using pine shavings on top which I stir up daily and add some occasionally, with some falling through the cracks. I also have a poop board under the roosts so a lot of the poop is captured there (which I collect and throw in the compost pile). I also stir up the pea gravel on the ground floor level and pick out the clumps as well as I can, however, there are a ton of flies down there.

Should I add pine shavings, grass clippings, etc to the lower level as well or would that create a mess when they get mixed up? Or remove some of the gravel and replace with the usual deep litter fillers?

The chickens are allowed to free range about 3-4 hrs daily, time permitting.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Julie, I think the pea stone on the bottom level is an invitation for flies, and poo stink. Though, it will keep things dryer. Eventually you will end up with pea stone completely surrounded by poo throughout the entire depth of the pea stone. My coop is similar to yours: sleeping loft 4 x 8, with a lower level that is 8 x 12. I use shavings on the upper level, and the bottom level is bare ground with a natural DL. I've used grass clippings, fall leaves, and hay. I cleaned it out last fall as a precaution when i had a mite infestation in the loft. But, with precautions in the upper level (permethrin sprinkled around the perimeter before putting new litter in, and i'm using citronella leaves in the nest box) I doubt that i'll have to address the mite issue again. I'm also planning to dry lemon peel, lemon verbena, marigold, lemon balm, and a few other aromatics so I'll have a lot of options available through the fall and winter. The poo and DL just melt into the ground in the lower level. There is never any odor. I know one poster who has been doing a DL for over 3 years, and only recently took some out... not because she needed to, but because she wanted to enrich one of her garden beds.

Other people use sand in their coops, but that means that you have to rake or scoop the poo out of the sand on a regular basis. That's entirely too much maintenance for me. I like the magically disappearing poo in the DL!

Back
Top Bottom