Deep Litter

Pics

RubySue

Songster
Sep 22, 2022
Southwestern South Dakota
Hello all!

New chicken owner here. I plan to use the deep litter method in our coop. Our chicks are one week old. I am getting ready to clean out their brooder and thought I could just move the shavings to the coop to get started rather than tossing them. Is that anything anyone has done or is it not a good idea?

Thanks!!

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you?

If you put your location into your profile it's easier for people to give you well-targeted advice because climate matters. :)

Deep Bedding and Deep Litter are two different things. The former is best for an enclosed coop with a floor, the latter is better for a run or a dirt-floored coop. Here's my article on Deep Bedding to help you decide what is likely to suit your setup: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

How soiled is the brooder bedding? If it's very heavily soiled there's no point putting it into the coop. However, many people throw soiled coop bedding into the run, where it works very well. :)

If you have the ability to brood outside in your coop that's the best possible option. It gets the dust and odor out of your house and allows the chicks to become accustomed to their permanent home from the start.

That should be fine. I might move the chicks as well as the used shavings-- brooding in the coop often works quite well. Then just add more shavings as needed.
Thanks! We are not quite ready to move them to the coop yet. Needs a door yet (tomorrow), the run attached, and massive fortification lol. We live in the woods with lots of predators, coyotes (den is near the back of our land), mountain lions, raccoons and much more. We are building the coop and run inside a horse run-in that’s not being used. Super excited have always wanted chickens. Had to move out of city limits bc the city kept tabling the ordinance lol. Since the last picture was taken we have put a roof on.

Attachments

• C394D8A4-BBC1-481D-B12B-CDE0D67C9FE1.jpeg
    C394D8A4-BBC1-481D-B12B-CDE0D67C9FE1.jpeg
    647.1 KB · Views: 13
  • D6A7456E-5818-4D7D-978F-16011F7BAB75.jpeg
    D6A7456E-5818-4D7D-978F-16011F7BAB75.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 11
  • BCD45C63-D631-4B0A-AFB2-E0FED127B269.jpeg
    BCD45C63-D631-4B0A-AFB2-E0FED127B269.jpeg
    549.7 KB · Views: 10
Thanks! We are not quite ready to move them to the coop yet. Needs a door yet (tomorrow), the run attached, and massive fortification lol. We live in the woods with lots of predators, coyotes (den is near the back of our land), mountain lions, raccoons and much more. We are building the coop and run inside a horse run-in that’s not being used. Super excited have always wanted chickens. Had to move out of city limits bc the city kept tabling the ordinance lol. Since the last picture was taken we have put a roof on.

Since you're still in the coop construction process, I'd like to give you the link for my article on coop ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Generous ventilation is, IMO, the #1 best thing you can do to ensure your chickens' good health.

What is your definition of "toss" ?? Toss in compost or garbage. I do alot more "tossing," than alot of people = in my garden, compost, under flower bushes and fruit trees because it's so beneficial. Deep litter/bedding works well for many and if you're decided on it then its a really good idea to read the article from 3KillerBs. Looks like deep bedding in your case. I used to do this until I had a chick with Coccidiosis and decided to switch to poop boards with sand. I'm not saying that deep bedding caused Cocci as it is always present but I just got tired of so much poo in my coop. I prefer it to be completely clean so that I can "see" all of it.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you?

If you put your location into your profile it's easier for people to give you well-targeted advice because climate matters. :)

Deep Bedding and Deep Litter are two different things. The former is best for an enclosed coop with a floor, the latter is better for a run or a dirt-floored coop. Here's my article on Deep Bedding to help you decide what is likely to suit your setup: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

How soiled is the brooder bedding? If it's very heavily soiled there's no point putting it into the coop. However, many people throw soiled coop bedding into the run, where it works very well. :)

If you have the ability to brood outside in your coop that's the best possible option. It gets the dust and odor out of your house and allows the chicks to become accustomed to their permanent home from the start.
I did post some pictures of our coop so far 😀 We are in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Right now I don’t have the ability to brood outside we are finishing up the coop and run. I have built the coop to use the deep litter method. The pine shavings are not that soiled. I started with paper towels for the first two days. Then changed to the pine shavings. The chicks are 7 days old. So not terribly soiled at all.

I only intended keeping the chicks in the house for a week because temps have been in the high 30’s to low 40’s at night and I wanted them to be able to come out from under the heat plate and eat/drink. I’m moving them to the garage in a couple days bc the temps are expected to drop to the high 40’s to 50’s. Plan is to get them acclimated quickly. We have long cold winters 😊

Thanks for the link will definitely read up.

If the shavings aren't particularly soiled then they can go into the coop.

I have a HUGE brooder and don't generally clean out the bedding during the 4 weeks before they go into the coop for integration.

It's going to depend on how dirty the brooder gets (often odor is due to spilling water and feed rather than the actual poop).

What is your definition of "toss" ?? Toss in compost or garbage. I do alot more "tossing," than alot of people = in my garden, compost, under flower bushes and fruit trees because it's so beneficial. Deep litter/bedding works well for many and if you're decided on it then its a really good idea to read the article from 3KillerBs. Looks like deep bedding in your case. I used to do this until I had a chick with Coccidiosis and decided to switch to poop boards with sand. I'm not saying that deep bedding caused Cocci as it is always present but I just got tired of so much poo in my coop. I prefer it to be completely clean so that I can "see" all of it.
Thanks for replying! Well I originally thought I would put them in a compost pile to start not the trash. Unfortunately you can’t just grow anything out here because the deer eat everything in sight. My scenery consists of pine trees. I plan to put a hoop house in the future because I love gardening, so my chickens will feed my garden and my garden will feed my chickens. But right now I had just thought I could maybe just start throwing the shavings into the coop to prepare to move the chicks out there.

Since you're still in the coop construction process, I'd like to give you the link for my article on coop ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Generous ventilation is, IMO, the #1 best thing you can do to ensure your chickens' good health.
We have left the 3 sides of the eaves of the roof open - the front, left, and back. The right was closed and the window was placed. I’m hoping that is good? It is an 8 x 4 coop for 6 birds.

Back
Top Bottom