Deep wound on back of my chicken

DaisyTheHen505

Hatching
May 3, 2024
Hello everyone, today one of my hens was dragged away by a dog, I though she was done for and all I could do was follow the trail of feathers the dog left to see if maybe I could at least find her body, I followed it and there I found the poor creature she was huddled up in a corner with most of her feathers on her back plucked off .

Examining her further I was horrified when I saw she had a quite deep and very open wound on her back , I can see underneath the skin , I have put her in a clean box and brought her home away from the others , I don't know what to do , I only have hydrogen peroxide on hand and nothing else, the wound also looks pretty open I don't if it maybe need stitching. I will pin a picture of the wound so you have more experience can tell me if she will be able to survive this (I put some hydrogen peroxide that's why you can't see much of anything ) , I don't want her to suffer for nothing...

IMG_20240503_232346.jpg
If you have any recommendations on product that will ease her recovery please do tell, any advice is useful , thank you to anyone who will respond. PS: she doesn't seem like she is able to stand up as of now and prefers to lay down but she doesn't look like she's giving up she looks like a fighter.

Wash thoroughly with sterile saline. You can make your own. Boil a cup of water, let it cool. Add 1/4 tsp regular table salt. (Or 1 tsp salt per quart of water). I like to put it in a spray bottle, then I don't have to scrub. Don't use peroxide again, once is enough. Cut feathers so you can see the wound clearly. After washing with the saline, blot dry gently with a clean towel or paper towel, then coat generously with Neosporin Original ointment - the formila with no pain reliever. Do this twice a day. You can give her some sugar water to treat for shock and keep her in a dark, quiet place for a bit. Good luck, she should be fine in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom