Deer Run Farms / Other Breeder Recs for BCM/Isbar/Ameracauna?

metarachel

Chirping
Sep 17, 2019
Western North Carolina
Hi all! I'm looking for a breeder to get ameracaunas, black copper marans, and isbars from. Alchemist Farms is both currently out of my price range and also concerning re: some health issues (a few years back I had two of their birds suddenly drop dead at under a year old after seeming perfectly healthy), and my local breeder (Sadie Girl Farm, whom I love and adore), has pared down to only BCMs and silkies. So now I'm looking for a breeder who sells all three of these chicks (and also ideally olive eggers) at an affordable price. I found Deer Run Farms, but I can't find any reviews on them. I did see one discussion on the forums here where someone said they loved the wellies but not the BCMs, but didn't say why. Has anyone had experience with this breeder?

Thank you!

I have ordered hatching eggs (BCM and welsummers) from Deer Run Farm and would do so again.
I am happy with the marans that I hatched and 9 months later they are healthy.
While I do recommend deer run farm I’m not sure I can recommend their marans. Especially when your local option is Sadie Girl Farm, I hope to order from them soon.
For the price DRF marans aren’t bad but there welsummers are far nicer

Get BCM's locally if you have a reputable breeder. Lots of sub-par BCM breeders out there, so find someone you can trust. Deer Run is somewhat local to me. I bought some of their lines years ago when they were under a different owner (Whitmore Farm).
I ended up replacing the Ameraucanas and BCM lines from them with better lines. The best Ameraucanas are from people who show them, but they generally only sell to serious breeders. The BCM's I have now are a line I created from 3 different lines, trying to get the darkest eggs possible. The Welsummers I got from Whitmore/Deer Run were used to create my lines of Welbars (Crele Welsummers that are truly autosexing), so I think they have nice Welsummers, if showing is your goal. Deer Run does not have Isbars, and there Olive Eggers are just Ameraucana x BCM.

Can I ask why you are looking for these breeds specifically? If you are looking for pretty eggs, Legbars are much better layers of blue eggs than Ameraucanas. Welsummer lines can be rather hit-or-miss (like BCM) and anything from a commercial hatchery is likely to be disappointing.

I specialize in colored egg, autosexing genetics. If you want to see the "state of the art" in sexable chicks that lay fancy colored eggs, check out my website: welbars.com

Back
Top Bottom